SOLVED Help Accidentally used "pkg install" in the Shell instead of using jails. How do I delete it now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talha Ahmad

Dabbler
I'm worried, I tried to install a Non-pbi FREEBSD package by using "pkg install" on shell therefore installing the pkg on the system instead of in a jail.

The last error I got was that their is not enough space /.../var

Is their a command I can use to remove this pkg from the freeNAS system, so that it does not fill up my USB drive?

Or possibly a default directory where freeNAS installs non-pbi software on the system so I can manually delete it?

Your help is much appreciated, as it will save me time from re-installing freeNAS altogether.

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The solution is to backup your config file, reinstall FreeNAS and import your config file.

Talha Ahmad

Dabbler
Aw, thanks for the reply,

One last noob question when I upload my config after the restore will all my settings on the entire system be restored?

In Other words will my system be the exact same as before I made this mistake?

Thanks again still learning day by day

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Actually,

If the OP just reboots the system, all those changes will be undone, since they were not stored on a writable partition. Right? The reboot will just reload all of the system files as they're supposed to be.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I didn't really think about this. I just assumed you mounted it writeable.

So *if* you mounted your USB stick writeable (mount -uw /) then it was saved to the thumbdrive.

On the other hand *if* you didn't do this, then a reboot would wipe out the chances you made.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I didn't really think about this. I just assumed you mounted it writeable.

So *if* you mounted your USB stick writeable (mount -uw /) then it was saved to the thumbdrive.

On the other hand *if* you didn't do this, then a reboot would wipe out the changes you made.

D

dlavigne

It's quite possible that the installation failed as it ran out of space. You can check by running pkg info. If it is installed, uninstall it using pkg delete.

Talha Ahmad

Dabbler
Cyberjock was actually correct to begin with then considering the only way I could have installed the pkg on the system was to make it writable "mount -uw /", so i guess rebooting wouldn't fix my problem.

BTW, if it matters what I exactly did was
[root@... ~]#mount -uw /
[root@... ~]#pkg install gpodder

Doing pkg info in the shell tells me that their are no packages installed, however considering the pkg install failed during the download stage, I feel like all I would need to do is manually delete the downloaded package, but I do not know where the default location where the packages are downloaded (on the system).

Does anyone know where pkg's are downloaded when they are installed on the system?

Talha Ahmad

Dabbler
It's quite possible that the installation failed as it ran out of space. You can check by running pkg info. If it is installed, uninstall it using pkg delete.

yup exactly it did fail for that reason, read my Above post if u will. :)

thanks for the help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.