Help Accessing Transmission Remotely

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDonk

Cadet
Hello!

So let me start off with saying that this whole thing is SUPER new to me and I'm still trying to wrap my head around a lot of it, so be gentle.

I recently built my own NAS box and installed FreeNAS 8.3 and managed to get plugins functional (Transmission and minDLNA) however I was looking for the ability to start and monitor my Transmission DL's remotely and even from my phone. However this isn't working. Is this more of a networking issues and is there a requirement for ports to be forwarded for this to work or am I way off?

I don't want to expose my entire NAS to the web and have it vulnerable, but would just like to be able to access Transmission from afar. Would any of you be willing to give me a hand figuring this out?

Thanks!!!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Moved thread to Off-Topic since it affects FreeNAS users but isn't directly related to plugins.

What you want to read up on is port forwarding or setting up a VPN. Note that both will require setting up on your router/firewall on your network and not the FreeNAS machine itself.

Generally, setting up a VPN is better than port forwardind for security reasons.

RDonk

Cadet
I've given the port forwarding thing a shot with no luck at all. Has anyone managed to get this to work?

Moved thread to Off-Topic since it affects FreeNAS users but isn't directly related to plugins.

What you want to read up on is port forwarding or setting up a VPN. Note that both will require setting up on your router/firewall on your network and not the FreeNAS machine itself.

Generally, setting up a VPN is better than port forwardind for security reasons.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Your 2 options are port forwarding and VPN. Both require more than trivial knowledge of networking to setup and use securely.

Keep in mind that with port forwarding you can have issues from both your home ISP and cellphone (or whatever your remote ISP is). Either end can block ports which will make stuff fail. If you've never had it working before and are new to it you can have problems that you'll think are from your configuration.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
Just tested and working fine.

Several ways how to achieve:
- Forward port on which you have transmission gui. (if problems (blocked port outside), use different port for destination-nat rule, like 44444->9091). Then just use your public IP:PORT to access transpission GUI
- VPN to your local network, then use internal IP:PORT (more secure)
- port forwarding with port knocking // in case you can not use vpn and your router supports advanced fw rules, this is a good way how to open needed port remotely for limited duration of the time AND keep security :]

Status
Not open for further replies.