Ransomeware hidden in Mac Transmission client

Status
Not open for further replies.

zella

Dabbler
http://arstechnica.com/security/201...ware-hits-transmission-users-researchers-say/

Hi guys,

I realise this is an OS specific thing, and they have only infected the Mac version but as I am sure many of you are aware Transmission is also available as a plugin on FreeNAS,

How likely and/or possible it would be for this to affect FreeNAS's version, given that Transmission operates in a jail and I take a regular snapshot of my pool, how likely is it for things to go horribly wrong. I also have external backups, but all snapshots are stored on the NAS.

I was previously assured that file level encryption from ransomware infecting files via CIFS shares would be recoverable from snapshots, but this kind infection would be closer to source. If some kind and educated person could provide this cryptography novice with an update on the threat level it would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
How likely and/or possible it would be for this to affect FreeNAS's version, given that Transmission operates in a jail and I take a regular snapshot of my pool, how likely is it for things to go horribly wrong. I also have external backups, but all snapshots are stored on the NAS.
The FreeBSD Transmission should be on a trusted repository. So, not likely.

I was previously assured that file level encryption from ransomware infecting files via CIFS shares would be recoverable from snapshots, but this kind infection would be closer to source. If some kind and educated person could provide this cryptography novice with an update on the threat level it would be most appreciated.
This changes nothing and has zero to do with cryptography. Unless you go delegating ZFS admin rights to the stupid plugin, it will not be able to touch the snapshots. So your unencrypted data is still there and easily reachable.
And that's assuming it uses some unknown exploit to leave the jail and manages to gain access to the host filesystem, instead of just its little dataset.

Status
Not open for further replies.