Help about moving files to volumes when HDD seems not ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabbat

Dabbler
Hi guys,
I serach in the forum a possible answers to my problem but I think I didn't find (or I didn't catch) the process. I have Freenas 9.2, with a ZFS volume of 2 TB (1TB HDD+1TB HDD). My total amount of files is around 1.2 TB. I need to move all these files in a new HDD of 4TB to clean previous 1TB disks. I will drop one ( becouse it seems not fully ok) and I will use the last 1TB HDD to extend the 4TB volume to 5TB.
Is it possible? Can someone give me a description/list of main steps to do?
Thank you

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
So you have a 2x 1 TB stripe and you want to make a 4 TB stripe, then move the files on it, and then stripe another 1 TB to that. Yes it's possible but striped drives are incredibly risky for your data, I don't know if you know that (but now you know) and I hope you have some backup or that you don't care about this data.

Everything is in the manual, please read it.

gpsguy

Did you ever upgrade your RAM to a minimum of 8GB? IIRC, you only had 2-4GB.

Sent from my phone

Fabbat

Dabbler
Thank you for your answer. @gpsguy, yes I upgrading my system and I will have a 8GB of Ram. @BiduleOhm, thank you for your explanation. I'm sorry but I'm not aware on NAS world and often I don't have clear in my mind the right things to do...
In your opinion, what are the best arrangement with 2 disks of 4TB and 2 disks of 1 TB (Raid x, mirroring,...)?
I use the nas to store my pictures, movie and iTunes library at my home, and Plex server as media streaming to my TV.
Thank you for your suggestions

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
I would do a mirror with the 4 TB drives and another mirror with the 1 TB drives. I don't know if I would stripe the mirrors or not (maybe let them separated and use the 4 TB for media and the 1 TB for pictures/documents). It all depends and it's your job as the admin of your server to chose.

Status
Not open for further replies.