have I done it right so that if one HDD fails I would be able to replace it without loosing any data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parkook

Cadet
Thank you guys, you've been amazing!!! I shall follow the instructions and use the freenas in a better system.

Parkook

Cadet
...or (as already mentioned up-thread) add another pair of disks as mirrors of the first. Edit: which would still have to be done at the CLI, but there are pretty straightforward instructions out there on the subject.
I searched online but couldn't find how to do this with the correct commands explained.
Can I add an 8TB HDD and mirror it without backing up all those data? If yes, any idea how?
To access CLI, do I need to simply type "CLI" then "Entre" on the freenas computer?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Can I add an 8TB HDD and mirror it without backing up all those data?
No, you'd need to add two 4 TB disks.
To access CLI, do I need to simply type "CLI" then "Entre" on the freenas computer?
No. You can get there using option 9 on the console menu, or using the Shell button in the web GUI, but by far the best way to do it is to configure SSH on your server.
I searched online but couldn't find how to do this with the correct commands explained.
This looks like them: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...or-by-adding-a-drive.14880/page-3#post-453290

Parkook

Cadet
Thank you all!
I am now moving my data from freenas to an 8TB external HDD attached to my windows 10, and as I said earlier when I copy lots of data, freenas stops working and gives this error message:
msk0: watchdog timeout
So then I type 10 and Y to restart the freenas.
Is this the fastest way to move the data out of freenas so that I can build a better one later?
Many Thanks

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You should be able to get into the BIOS of the computer and disable the watch dog.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.