Hello, world!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmas

Cadet
Hi everyone!

I am a long time FreeBSD user (since 1996). Actually I have been using Unix systems since 1983. Recently (2011) I deployed two storage servers based on FreeBSD and ZFS. I really love ZFS! I knew of FreeNAS and even considered using it for those servers, but I am very confident managing FreeBSD systems, so I chose the well known path.

Two months ago I was looking for a NAS for my home; obviously it should be FreeBSD and ZFS based. Then I decided to try FreeNAS. I purchased an HP Microserver Gen8 (these little great systems are on sale very cheap nowadays), stuffed it with four 3 TB WD Red HDDs, and installed FreeNAS 9.3 (BETA, now STABLE). I was afraid that, being used to manage FreeBSD systems, I would feel constrained; but I am very satisfied with FreeNAS running on my little server.

I find fascinating that I have been benefiting from projects led by Jordan Hubbard for a long time: FreeBSD, OS X (my dreams made real) and now FreeNAS. By the way, Jordan is only a bit younger than me. Thanks very much, Jordan (and to all people involved). :)

I forgot to mention that I am from Spain. I work as full time professor at the Faculty of Science and Technology of the University of the Basque Country, campus of Leioa (a small town near the city of Bilbao).

Last edited:

ITGuy1024

Explorer
Welcome, mate!

Mlovelace

Guru
Hi everyone!

I am a long time FreeBSD user (since 1996). Actually I have been using Unix systems since 1983. Recently (2011) I deployed two storage servers based on FreeBSD and ZFS. I really love ZFS! I knew of FreeNAS and even considered using it for those servers, but I am very confident managing FreeBSD systems, so I chose the well known path.

Two months ago I was looking for a NAS for my home; obviously it should be FreeBSD and ZFS based. Then I decided to try FreeNAS. I purchased an HP Microserver Gen8 (these little great systems are on sale very cheap nowadays), stuffed it with four 3 TB WD Red HDDs, and installed FreeNAS 9.3 (BETA, now STABLE). I was afraid that, being used to manage FreeBSD systems, I would feel constrained; but I am very satisfied with FreeNAS running on my little server.

I find fascinating that I have been benefiting from projects led by Jordan Hubbard for a long time: FreeBSD, OS X (my dreams made real) and now FreeNAS. By the way, Jordan is only a bit younger than me. Thanks very much, Jordan (and to all people involved). :)

I forgot to mention than I am from Spain. I am a full time professor at the Faculty of Science and Technology of the University of the Basque Country, campus of Leioa (a small town near the city of Bilbao).
@jkh should give this a read :D

J

jkh

You're very welcome! I'm glad you've found my work (and far more importantly, that of many others who played critical roles in all of those projects) useful.
I forgot to mention that I am from Spain. I work as full time professor at the Faculty of Science and Technology of the University of the Basque Country, campus of Leioa (a small town near the city of Bilbao).
I have been to many parts of the world, but I have not yet been to Spain, and this makes me sad. It's on my list! Maybe I'll drop by and say "Hi!" next year. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.