Hello & Thank You FreeNAS forums from Boston,MA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ankaa

Cadet
My first experience with ZFS came in last 2015 while working for a Boston company that made specialized video systems and traditional hardware RAID storage systems. I assisted a colleague in creating a new ZFS storage system using Solaris and napp-it and I’ve been in love with ZFS ever since…

I’ve had the experience of building a massive 1.2 PB system using Supermicro’s 96 disk chassis. As an alternative to Solaris, I have also used OmniOS until the end of their relationship with OmniTI a little over a year ago. Since then I have moved to OpenIndiana for my home builds.

I took my love for ZFS home and have built multiple systems for my home NAS and media server needs. My longest running friend - a dual Xeon X5675, 64GB RAM, X8DT3-LN4F, 8x 4TB HGST SAS2 configured as a “Gea All-In-One” with ESXi 6.5 with OI and several linux VMs for Plex and other apps.

My favorite hardware has always been Supermicro, HGST for drives, and LSI/Avago/Broadcom for HBAs - but I have many war stories and battle scars from the time before ‘the world moved on’ namely Intel/LSI MegaRAID, Areca hardware and rebuilds, and incredibly cheap SATA and SAS backplanes and drive cages.

I’m currently replacing the X8 dual xeon with something a little less powerful.

Xeon E3-1240 v6, 64GB RAM, SM X11SSH-CTF, 8x HGST 6TB SAS3
(Fractal Design Node 804 - Really good case - Highly Recommend!)
And perhaps to your satisfaction, I will be switching over from an ESXi all-in-one to FreeNAS 11 with a single VM.

Also, I recently won an eBay auction for a FreeNAS Mini that was ‘for parts’ for $250. I received it and fixed it within a few hours. In dealing with the many MANY issues of the ASRack C2750D4i, I already feel like a FreeNAS veteran but much of the credit goes to this community! Most if not all of the fixes and information I needed was found right here on this incredible forum!

I want to thank you all for the help that I have found here - even before joining - in many late night searches. I can't wait to help and spread some of my wisdom here as well.

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Welcome to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.