Hello/New Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

dairyengguy

Dabbler
Hello,

I recently installed (after reading a lot) freeNAS on a server that I have in order to test it out. I am planning on using this array to write backups of my various VMs to. These backups will be rotating nightly, so I will be writing about 800 GB to them nightly. My previous NAS solution was unreliable and slow, and I am hoping to get a better solution here, as well as a safer one. I do keep a weekly(ish) backup on a USB drive as well, just in case.

Here's my system:

Dell FS12-SC (Based on the C2100 Chassis)
Perc 5/i SAS Raid Controller (going to replace with an M1015 based on what I have seen)
24 GB RAM
6x1TB WD Red HDD
2x2.5GHz Intel Xeon L5420

These are configured as a RAIDZ2 volume right now. I may add 6 more drives as my space needs become greater and then stripe the two vdevs.

I have been testing iSCSI as an interface, as well as NFS. I have a CIFS share as well for some other desktop backups that I do weekly. iSCSI has been absolutely fast and reliable so far, and NFS has not.

I welcome any suggestions and/or comments on this build and I hope to learn enough to keep it running reliably for a long time.

Thanks

edit:some stuff I said incorrectly

Last edited:

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I welcome any suggestions and/or comments on this build and I hope to learn enough to keep it running reliably for a long time.
Welcome.

One suggestion is to spend several weeks experimenting with your setup, in various configurations, before committing important data to it.

For clarity of communication, I suggest some re-reading to make sure your terminology matches what others will expect, especially if you end up needing help. For example, I think you probably mean "RAIDZ2" when you say "ZFS-2", and I think you probably mean "vdevs" when you say "zvols". The latter is more of an issue since there's no such thing as ZFS-2 but there is such a thing as a zvol.

And another minor nitpick ... WD Reds rotate at around 5,400 RPM.

dairyengguy

Dabbler
Welcome.

One suggestion is to spend several weeks experimenting with your setup, in various configurations, before committing important data to it.

For clarity of communication, I suggest some re-reading to make sure your terminology matches what others will expect, especially if you end up needing help. For example, I think you probably mean "RAIDZ2" when you say "ZFS-2", and I think you probably mean "vdevs" when you say "zvols". The latter is more of an issue since there's no such thing as ZFS-2 but there is such a thing as a zvol.

And another minor nitpick ... WD Reds rotate at around 5,400 RPM.

Thanks for the reply. I changed a couple things, and I have been testing a lot of different things. I will be waiting several weeks before I actually start depending on this setup; meanwhile I have my backups stored elsewhere (on a USB drive actually).

When I said zvol, I meant it. I will add 6 drives and each one of those 6 zdevs will be assigned to a RAIDZ2 zvol. The two RAIDz2 zvols will then be added (striped) to my pool. Please correct me again if I am wrong, but I think I was correct in at least that one part.

Didn't know about the WD red speed, I guess just assumed that they were faster than that, interesting.

Thanks again.

Edit: I was wrong. Keep reading and disregard my ignorance

Last edited:

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Please correct me again if I am wrong
OK:
  • one or more hard drives make a vdev
  • RAIDZ2 is one way of configuring a vdev
  • one or more vdevs make a pool (aka volume)
  • a zvol is something else entirely
Have you read @cyberjock 's guide?

dairyengguy

Dabbler
OK:
  • one or more hard drives make a vdev
  • RAIDZ2 is one way of configuring a vdev
  • one or more vdevs make a pool (aka volume)
  • a zvol is something else entirely
Have you read @cyberjock 's guide?
I did read it. However, in the mass of information I must have gotten mixed up. Thanks for the correction.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
You're welcome. There is a lot to learn with FreeNAS. Take your time, read and re-read, ask lots of questions, and you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.