Hello from Stumptown

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemonyx

Cadet
Been wanting some kind of system for saving my ripped DVD's, music and family photo's and have ready about "diy NAS". I've done some reading (just barley started) on this forum and seen some of the Utubes tutorials as well, and I have searched the forums but have not found any answer as yet (1 of many) .

"How do you hook up your tv or monitor (more than 2) to your NAS system when you are using a SuperMicro X10SLL-F that only has a VGA out"? And can it be done?

Here I thought that it'll be easy, just slap a mb, proc and install some drives and bingo bango I'll be done and running - got a loooong curve ahead.

thanks

gpsguy

Welcome to the forums!

Please take a look at our resource section for hardware recommendations. And, think about burning in your harddisks before commiting production data to them. Read the documentation from cover to cover. A lot of the YouTube video's might be old and/or contain misinformation. If you'd like a PDF version of the docs, see my signature file.

Most SuperMicro boards have a feature called IPMI, which allows you to see and interact with the display (from BIOS, through bootup, etc), without having to have a monitor. When FreeNAS boots, it's just a text display. Most of the configuration and day to day is done either from it's webGUI running on your workstation or a SSH session from your workstation.

You won't be able to plug your tv directly into the FreeNAS box and to watch your DVD's.

How do you hook up your tv or monitor (more than 2) to your NAS system when you are using a SuperMicro

Status
Not open for further replies.