Status
Not open for further replies.

RemyZ

Contributor
MB: Supermicro X11SSH-F
Ram: DDR4 Crucial ECC Unbuffered
Case: Supermicro 825TQ
HBA:LSI 9211 8i

I have installed Freenas and everything else has been updated (Bios, LSI etc ) to newest versions.
Unfortunately, Bios isn't recognizing the HDD's and they are not spinning when I touch the metal enclosure. The backplane is BPN-825 and both JP13 and JP10 4 pin power connectors are connected.
https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/other/BPN-SAS-825TQ.pdf
I don't think the backplane is providing the drives with power at all. Anyone run into a similar issue with this case ?

RemyZ

Contributor
I connected the Hard Drives directly to the motherboard and used a molex to sata power adaptor and HDD's are spinning up and being recognized. So it seems the Backplane is not providing power as it should be. Maybe an issue with the I2C or SGPIO Connectors.This is the only thing I can think of at the moment . Any thoughts on this ?

RemyZ

Contributor
Looks like the Hard Drive is getting power. I have a reverse Cable going from the HBA to the backplane. I connected a sata cable from the motherboard to the Backplane and low and behold it is being recognized so it is getting power. MY HBA is crossflashed to IT Mode and P20 Firmware. So looks like the issue is with the HBA Card itself. Moving on and checking connections on HBA....

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

RemyZ

Contributor
i already ordered forward cables. The members on this forum recommend reverse cabling....

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Mlovelace

Guru
i already ordered forward cables. The members on this forum recommend reverse cabling....

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
They recommended breakout cables to connect to the TQ backplane or a sas2 backplane, I didn't see anyone recommend reverse cabling.

jgreco

Resident Grinch

If you can point out who, I'll be happy to beat them senseless with a reverse breakout cable and make them read the SAS primer for 24 hours straight.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's always a good time to reiterate with ASCII art:

Code:
+--------------------+          +--------------------+                               +--------------------+          +--------------------+
|                    |          |       SATA         |-------------+                 |                    |----------|      Drive         |
|   SAS controller   |          |       SATA         |-------------+                 |                    |----------|      Drive         |
|                    |XXXXXXXXXX|       SATA         |-------------+RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR|     SFF-8087       |----------|      Drive         |
+--------------------+          |       SATA         |-------------+                 |                    |----------|      Drive         |
                                +--------------------+                               +--------------------+          +--------------------+

R is a reverse breakout caable (4x SATA to SFF-8087)

+--------------------+          +--------------------+                               +--------------------+          +--------------------+
|                    |          |                    |             +-----------------|       SATA         |----------|      Drive         |
|   SAS controller   |          |     SFF-8087       |             +-----------------|       SATA         |----------|      Drive         |
|                    |XXXXXXXXXX|                    |FFFFFFFFFFFFF+-----------------|       SATA         |----------|      Drive         |
+--------------------+          |                    |             +-----------------|       SATA         |----------|      Drive         |
                                +--------------------+                               +--------------------+          +--------------------+

F is a forward breakout cable (SFF-8087 to 4x SATA)

Status
Not open for further replies.