HDD Workaround

Status
Not open for further replies.

spawn27

Dabbler
I created this new thread thinking that it can be useful for members who have the same problem I described in my first thread -> [URL = "http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?2270-Hard- disk-Not-Visible "] [/ URL].

Today I bought 2 new Seagate HDDs SATA3 2Tera to replace the 2x1Tera that gave me problems in creating a new volume.
I took them identical to other 2 that I had mounted in mirror with no problem.

I am currently using FreeNAS 8.0.1 RC1 and I have not updated to RC2 since other members with the same problem is not solved.

Unfortunately, even though these 2 new HDDs recognized at boot, are not seen by the GUI and then I can not create a new volume.

I got discouraged and connected the HDDs via USB and I was able to magically create the volume (striping) due to the fact that they was as also present in GUI.

So I put the same in bay 2 of the server (I'm using an HP N36L) and the volume continues to exist and I'm using at the time by copying and deleting files without problems.

the only perplexity right now is when I view the volume and composition of the two drives appear as I connected via USB (da1 and da2) and not via SATA (ada2 and ada3 as in the dmesg below).

Code:
GEOM_STRIPE: Disk ada2 attached to TERAstripe.
GEOM_STRIPE: Disk ada3 attached to TERAstripe.

workaround.jpg

It could be a problem in future?

greetings
Spawn27

ProtoSD

MVP
Let me be sure I understand what you did.

You created your mirror with both drives connected with USB (some adapter?), then you removed them from the USB connection and connected them directly to the SATA controller.
Did you have to Import them in the GUI? or now they just work as if they were created directly using the SATA connection?

spawn27

Dabbler
Yes my Friend Protosd :D

I create VOLUME (as STRIPE, not MIRROR but I suppose it is the same) connecting both Hard Disks via USB (using a cheap cable/adaptor USB2SATA - see photo) then I disconnect and connect directly via internal SATA controller and magically I use them WITHOUT import!!!
using your words "just work as if they were created directly using the SATA connection"

what do you think about?

usb2sataide.jpg

ProtoSD

MVP
Well I'm happy you found a way to make it work, but it would be nice to understand why the FreeNAS GUI didn't see them before. Very very strange.

Anyone else out there have any ideas why the GUI didn't detect these disks?

Durkatlon

Patron
Btw, stripe is not the same as mirror: Stripe writes files across both disks, therefore no redundancy, and total disk space is the sum of the space on the component disks. Mirror writes files to both disks, therefore you have full redundancy where if one drive fails the data is still there on the other one. Of course total disk space in this case is the same as just one of the two component disks.

spawn27

Dabbler
@Durkatlon : hi, yes I know well the difference between STRIPE and MIRROR. when I wrote "I suppose it is the same" I mean about the strange behavior of FreeNAS to consider in the GUI the disks available when they are connected via USB and so manageable as VOLUME using MIRROR or STRIPE :)

@Protosd : I'm happy too, but still can't understand why I have to use this workaround!!! and more why in the GUI they are still assigned to da1 and da2 even if thay are in the SATA bay ...:rolleyes:

ProtoSD

MVP
why in the GUI they are still assigned to da1 and da2 even if thay are in the SATA bay ...

I don't think this is anything to really worry about. I know someone else asked how the disks were 'enumerated' in FreeNAS, and I don't know the answer, but I think everything should be ok.

Maybe one of our friendly admins/developers will read this and enlighten us... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.