Has anyone installed FreeNAS on a rnd4450 (netgear NAS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrdbrr

Cadet
Has anyone installed FreeNAS on a rnd4450 (netgear NAS) or another manufacturer's NAS server?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
No. Most of these "desktop NAS" devices are tiny little things with an underpowered SOC processor, often ARM architecture, sometimes Atom, with 256MB or possibly 512MB of RAM if you're lucky. Some of the higher end rackmount appliances are built around nearly standard off-the-shelf components, and those it might be practical to run FreeNAS on, but by the time you've bought one of those, you could build two or three FreeNAS's for the same price.

jrdbrr

Cadet
Hello,
I was given one of these as recompense- they cost a pretty penny (for my poor self at least) and it took me a while to find any specs. It looks like it has 256mb RAM, not sure what CPU is like.

No. Most of these "desktop NAS" devices are tiny little things with an underpowered SOC processor, often ARM architecture, sometimes Atom, with 256MB or possibly 512MB of RAM if you're lucky. Some of the higher end rackmount appliances are built around nearly standard off-the-shelf components, and those it might be practical to run FreeNAS on, but by the time you've bought one of those, you could build two or three FreeNAS's for the same price.

jrdbrr

Cadet
o man, the interface for this thing is ATROCIOUS i miss freenas already. I'm kinda bummed I wanted this little box to replace my old p4. Is there anyway to ADD RAM? I know no way :(

bollar

Patron
You can certainly add RAM to most ReadyNAS devices. Have you opened it up to look?

Status
Not open for further replies.