Rsync setup between my FreeNAS and NETGEAR ReadyNAS Servers

Kiran Kankipati

Dabbler
Hey guys, Today I managed to setup a working Rsync connection between my FreeNAS and NETGEAR ReadyNAS servers. I shot a detailed video of all the steps. FYI, in my scenario, I am using my FreeNAS as the Rsync source (push) and the NETGEAR as my archive server. (or a remote mirror site).

I am new to the same, and so when I searched I couldn't able to find exact steps between FreeNAS and NETGEAR. Instead I was able to get the FreeNAS<>FreeNAS guide or NETGEAR<>NETGEAR official documentation. Finally I could able setup the same. Hence after a successful setup I thought of sharing my setup.

Hope this will be useful :)

pflicht

Cadet
Thank you. This helped me out so much. I have never setup rsync before, but using your tutorial, I was able to use bits and pieces to set mine up. Some things I had to change and omit. I don't know if its because of different versions or not though.

My setup:
FreeNAS 11.3-U2
ReadyNAS Pro 6 running unsupported 6.10.1

FreeNAS is my main NAS and using ReadyNAS for backups. Had to create the rsync modules in FreeNAS setting ReadyNAS as allowed host and read only, but I did not setup rsync tasks in FreeNAS. I setup the shares on ReadyNAS with SMB and Rsync. Set permissions to everyone W/R and also specified FreeNAS as the host. Then on the backup tab, added the job. Once the job was created, I went back in and modified the settings. Under advanced, tick the "Remove deleted files on target" option. Doing this will make appropriate changes on the ReadyNAS so that if you modify or delete anything on FreeNAS, the ReadyNAS will also update to reflect those changes.

Once again, thank you for the tutorial. It paved the way for me to be able to set this up. And yes, this thread is a little old but felt the info I found to be relevant and like OP, could not find any information on the matter. So hopefully this will help others in the same situation.