Hardware Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

bastelfreund

Cadet
Hey there,
I'm planning my new home Server and need some advise. I'm acutally running a Readynas 4x2TB Raid 5 with DLNA and Fileserver, but it's old and I want to have more features as well.
First I wanted to buy a new Readynas, but there are nice benefits with FreeNAS, so I want to do that. The Requirements aren't specifically. A CPU x64 bit is a really wide range ;) I don't want to waste power, but I also don't want to undersize. Maybe you'll have some advise.

I imageine something like this:
Midi Tower case with Hot Swap slots (8slots)
Standard ATX power supply (a good one)
Standard consumer Mainboard/CPU
24/7 Disks (Do I really need WD Red? What disks do you have?)

I want to have about 25 TB real capacity. Raid 5 + 1 Hot spare or similar (depends on the number of disks)
It's possible to extend the Raid from the FreeNAS by connecting another disk? Like the Netgear Flexraid can...
I want to have my Data encrypted.
I also want to install
- Mediaserver (DLNA)
- File Server / Web server (Owncloud)
- Mail Server
- Smart home server
+ 1 Virtual Machine (Windows 7) for App Virtualization (special expensive Applikations which should be available 24/4 by using Teamviewer. Not much Performance needed)

It should handle several tasks parallel. 4k streaming, uploading files (1 Gbit/s) and the Virtual Machine parallel.

Can I take a 7400t? How much Power will I need for that Setup?

Thanks in Advance,
Bastelfreund

danb35

Hall of Famer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hey there,
I'm planning my new home Server and need some advise. I'm acutally running a Readynas 4x2TB Raid 5 with DLNA and Fileserver, but it's old and I want to have more features as well.
First I wanted to buy a new Readynas, but there are nice benefits with FreeNAS, so I want to do that. The Requirements aren't specifically. A CPU x64 bit is a really wide range ;) I don't want to waste power, but I also don't want to undersize. Maybe you'll have some advise.

I imageine something like this:
Midi Tower case with Hot Swap slots (8slots)
Standard ATX power supply (a good one)
Standard consumer Mainboard/CPU
24/7 Disks (Do I really need WD Red? What disks do you have?)

I want to have about 25 TB real capacity. Raid 5 + 1 Hot spare or similar (depends on the number of disks)
It's possible to extend the Raid from the FreeNAS by connecting another disk? Like the Netgear Flexraid can...
I want to have my Data encrypted.
I also want to install
- Mediaserver (DLNA)
- File Server / Web server (Owncloud)
- Mail Server
- Smart home server
+ 1 Virtual Machine (Windows 7) for App Virtualization (special expensive Applikations which should be available 24/4 by using Teamviewer. Not much Performance needed)

It should handle several tasks parallel. 4k streaming, uploading files (1 Gbit/s) and the Virtual Machine parallel.

Can I take a 7400t? How much Power will I need for that Setup?

Thanks in Advance,
Bastelfreund
wow you need to take a second and read all the info in my signature.

1. don't use raid5/raidz1
2. cpu has very little impact on power usage. All intel CPU's idle at about the same power usage. Do not get a 't' processor or even an i5 for that matter. Get a xeon that fits what you want.
3. wd reds, iron wolf or hgst nas drives are what we recommend and they should run 24/7. shutting off your nas is a bad idea because it puts more wear and tear on the drives and doesn't allow the maintenance tasks to run.
4. Don't encrypt your disks unless you plan on losing all your data one day. You will mess up and lose the keys at some point.
5. virtualization is still fairly new and doesn't always work easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.