Hardware advice (CPU requirements)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xmai77

Cadet
I've been interested in building a FreeNAS box for a while. It will be used as a media server for 2-3 devices (my computer, girlfriend's computer, and the TV). My videos are mostly 1080p that are ~10GB in filesize. Under the heaviest use, I'd assume all three devices are streaming 1080p from the NAS.

I ran into this mobo/cpu combo when I was searching for something cheap: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131843.
CPU: AMD Fusion APU C-60 (1.0GHz, dual core)
Memory: DDR3 1066/800 (up to 8GB)
Storage: SATA 6.0Gb/s (up to 6 devices!)
LAN: Realtek 8111F (10/100/1000Mbps)

I currently only have 4TB of storage but I intend to keep adding 2TB drives whenever it's needed. So, at some point, the machine will have 12TB (6x2TB) of storage. I have a couple of questions:
1. Will the CPU be fast enough? Does anyone have experience with this APU?
2. Is 8GB of RAM enough if I have 12TB of hard drive space?

frosted

Dabbler
As stated in my other post, I might try this platform shortly or skip to the next version when it will ever be released. As it might takes a while to release the other version to the public, I might go directly with the C60.
I will also try 8GB modules in it as another user has been able to use 8GB module (2x8=16GB total) even if the official documentation says it is limited to 4GB modules.

I'll post back when I'll be decided. If you ever decide before me, please let us know too, thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.