BUILD Critique: Freenas build around $1000 CAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Explorer
Hi:
I have been planning and reading a lot about the hardware requirements.

I have came up with this configuration for the build.
This NAS will be mostly used as a file server (FTP), and a streaming for 1-2 devices.

Parts lists:
CPU: Pentium G3258 Dual Core 3.2 GHz
Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X10SLL-F-O
RAM: Crucial 16GB 2x8GB Unbuffered ECC
Storage: 4x WD RED 3TB OR 4x WD RED 4TB
Power supply: Seasonic SSR-450RM 450W OR Seasonic SSR-550 550W
Case: Thermaltake T31 mid tower

What should I change? Is the CPU powerful enough for file storage and transfer?
How much usable space for the 4x 3TB and how much for the 4x4TB config?

Should I go for the Asrock Avoton C2550D41 or the C2750D41?
Thank you for dropping by!

Last edited:

bjurewicz21

Dabbler
Have you read cyberjocks hardware guide and zpool vdev guide, both are found in the stickies. If not read that immediately as it will help you understand and answer half of your questions.

I would think that the 450W PSU should more then cover your needs. Many people opt for the 360W, however others will up to the 450W just for the modular cabling.

The CPU is plenty powerful for general file storage and transfers. If you decide to go to atom I would say to just go with the c2750. But the only reasons I would see to switch to the atom based c2750 would be for passive cooling, higher core count, or if you went with asrocks mobo with the build in sata connections (i think its 12). Both the pentium and atom have very similar passmark scores.

You say streaming, will you be using plex? do you mean direct streaming or transcoding?

Usable space will depend on the raid configuration you use. General rule of thumb is that the more drives you have more of a percentage of your space is available for storage. (You should read cyberjocks guide found in the stickies)
*RaidZ1 will use 1 drive worth of space as parity
**RaidZ2 will use 2 drives worth of space for parity

Why the thermaltake case? If you are only using 4 drives you could easily use the fractal node 304 which can house 6 hdd and has great reviews. (it is used by many people on here)

Explorer
Have you read cyberjocks hardware guide and zpool vdev guide, both are found in the stickies. If not read that immediately as it will help you understand and answer half of your questions.

I would think that the 450W PSU should more then cover your needs. Many people opt for the 360W, however others will up to the 450W just for the modular cabling.

The CPU is plenty powerful for general file storage and transfers. If you decide to go to atom I would say to just go with the c2750. But the only reasons I would see to switch to the atom based c2750 would be for passive cooling, higher core count, or if you went with asrocks mobo with the build in sata connections (i think its 12). Both the pentium and atom have very similar passmark scores.

You say streaming, will you be using plex? do you mean direct streaming or transcoding?

Usable space will depend on the raid configuration you use. General rule of thumb is that the more drives you have more of a percentage of your space is available for storage. (You should read cyberjocks guide found in the stickies)
*RaidZ1 will use 1 drive worth of space as parity
**RaidZ2 will use 2 drives worth of space for parity

Why the thermaltake case? If you are only using 4 drives you could easily use the fractal node 304 which can house 6 hdd and has great reviews. (it is used by many people on here)

Yes, I have read cyberjock's guide; I will read it again.

Okay, I was also thinking of getting an i3; planning to run the Plex plugin, and some other ones. When I say streaming, I think I mean direct streaming; so like playing back movies/videos on another device.

I think I will run RaidZ2, read some articles saying that RaidZ1 is a bit obsolete and only allows for single drive failures.

I already have the Thermaltake case as my main PC case; wanted to get a new case for my PC. :)

Thanks

bjurewicz21

Dabbler
If you plan on running raidZ2 (which is recomended) with only 4 disks you will lose half of the space to parity. For raidZ2 you should really up to 6disks if you worry about space, as you can't add disks to a vdev.
PS for hdds i found that recently the 3tb nas drives have been the best price per tb for nas drives, easy way to save money is to look for them on sale normally happens once a month

What will you be streaming to?
Streaming means that the client can understand the original file, and that the file does not need to be converted in order to be played on the device. Transcoding on the otherhand is when the server will need to convert the video during playback in order to allow the device to understand and play the video file. Transcoding will take more cpu power then streaming. (according to plex transcoding a 1080p video will require a passmark of 2000) so your pentium could transcode 1 @ 1080 and 1 @720 theoretically. Your results may show that you can actually transcode 2 1080p files, but I tend to air on the side of caution. On the other hand the c2750 has reports of being able to transcode a 1080p file while using only 20% of its cpu power (theoretically allowing it to transcode 5 streams).
I have absolutely no performance issues with Plex on this board and I have a massive library (150+ HD movies, 7,000+ HD TV Episodes), I even set the transcoding to "make my cpu hurt". Just to give you an idea: I've been streaming "300" in 1080P over T-Mobile's LTE at 8Mbps and my cpu "user" usage is averaging about 20% load over the past 15 minutes
*the board referenced is the ASRockc2750

Valid point on the case, always nice to reuse and then use it as an excuse to upgrade something else.

Explorer
If you plan on running raidZ2 (which is recomended) with only 4 disks you will lose half of the space to parity. For raidZ2 you should really up to 6disks if you worry about space, as you can't add disks to a vdev.
PS for hdds i found that recently the 3tb nas drives have been the best price per tb for nas drives, easy way to save money is to look for them on sale normally happens once a month

What will you be streaming to?
Streaming means that the client can understand the original file, and that the file does not need to be converted in order to be played on the device. Transcoding on the otherhand is when the server will need to convert the video during playback in order to allow the device to understand and play the video file. Transcoding will take more cpu power then streaming. (according to plex transcoding a 1080p video will require a passmark of 2000) so your pentium could transcode 1 @ 1080 and 1 @720 theoretically. Your results may show that you can actually transcode 2 1080p files, but I tend to air on the side of caution. On the other hand the c2750 has reports of being able to transcode a 1080p file while using only 20% of its cpu power (theoretically allowing it to transcode 5 streams).

*the board referenced is the ASRockc2750

Valid point on the case, always nice to reuse and then use it as an excuse to upgrade something else.

Yes, I'm probably going to have 4x3 TB in RaidZ2 which yields 6TB, I think. I will scout around for sales.

I will be streaming to an iOS, Android device, Windows or OSX machine and possibly a Chromecast. Can I use Plex free version for this?
Thanks for the explanation. ;) Maybe an i3 would be a bit better; I will check out the benchmarks. I kind of like the non-soldered CPU/motherboard kits, but I will consider that Asrock 8 core kit. I've heard that some users are experiencing difficulties with the Marvel Sata controller. Any other known problems?

So the Pentium and the Atom have similar single threaded performance?
Wow! What do you have on your machine? So you have to setup all the networking for streaming to non-LAN devices?

Thanks again for your help!

Last edited:

bjurewicz21

Dabbler
You would only have to pay to have plex on the mobile devices. (iOS and Andriod)

I would agree with the non-soldered mobo kits as it gives you more expand-ability in the future. The marvel sata controller only has issues for hot swapping was the last that i read, otherwise there are many reports about using it without a problem.

Not sure where you are getting that the pentium and atom have similar single thread performance. The atom has a lower core speed but has more cores, so it will be better at multi tasking. Both the atom and the pentium have similar passmark scores which is a combination of their cores and speed to give you a benchmark to compare cpus against each other.

I am currently running 2 external hard drives off of my main pc which has an i7 as a plex media server with an additional external hdd used to back-up other files. I stream my media to my family and friends. I am working on a build to consolidate all of that into a FreeNAS server. My most recent build specs that I am sitting on until fall are https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/plex-nas-server-build-questions-validation.35698/

Plex is very simple to set up (just install a plugin in FreeNAS) and very good for organizing your stuff. If you dont understand how it works read their website and try it out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.