Help about hardware (E35M1-I or F1A75-M LE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch

Cadet
Hi Everyone,

I'm new on FreeNAS forum but I look your documentation/forum about a while !!
I've try FreeNAS on VM several times (testing) and now I would like to build my own physically.
I'm READY !!! :cool:

So, I would like to build 12TB RAW (6x2TB) with RAIDZ2 -> 8TB
But i'm not sure about motherboard performance.

First, I would like to buy an Asus E35M1-I with 8Gb of RAM.
But CPU performance isn't good for CIFS share, i've read about 65-70mb/s (maybe not good for 1080p CIFS Streaming :confused:)
Because Samba use one thread so best frequency = best performance

I've also read that more RAM you have, better it is, so 8Gb for 12TB maybe is'nt the best..
And when a disk crash, reconstruction maybe longer... (not very important for me)

On second, I've find Asus F1A75-M LE (LE only for network chip -> Realtek 8111E)
Build with AMD A4 3400 2.7Ghz, 16Gb and a nice BeQuiet CPU cooling.
On this configuration, I've read about 110-115mb/s (Windows OS) :cool:
But it is 200€ (247$) more expansive :(

The rest of my configuration:
- Verbatim Store'n'Go Netbook USB - 8 Go -> FreeNAS disk
- Fractal Design Arc Mini
- Be Quiet Straight Power E9 - 450W
- Noctua NF-S12B FLX x4
- Seagate Barracuda Green SATA III 6 Gb/s - 2 To or Western Digital Red RD1000M - 2 To

So, what is the best for CIFS share for you?? To view 1080p movie thruth network (maybe on Raspberry :o)
Thanks a lot !!!!! :D

Stephens

Patron
Have you actually found the Asus E35M1-I in stock anywhere? If not, that should help your decision. I haven't been able to find it lately except used on eBay. FYI, there are reports (which I believe) that with the right RAM, the E35M1-I supports 16GB just fine.

I think you may be confusing the CIFS speed stats you're seeing. You're seeing MEGABYTES/second LAN speed measurements whereas 1080p movies are often expressed in terms of megabits per second. Long story short, not only can my E35M1-I stream a 1080P movie, but it can stream more than one simultaneously. I could stream 1 1080p movie even on my 100mbit connection, let alone gigabit.

Mitch

Cadet
Have you actually found the Asus E35M1-I in stock anywhere? If not, that should help your decision. I haven't been able to find it lately except used on eBay. FYI, there are reports (which I believe) that with the right RAM, the E35M1-I supports 16GB just fine.

I think you may be confusing the CIFS speed stats you're seeing. You're seeing MEGABYTES/second LAN speed measurements whereas 1080p movies are often expressed in terms of megabits per second. Long story short, not only can my E35M1-I stream a 1080P movie, but it can stream more than one simultaneously. I could stream 1 1080p movie even on my 100mbit connection, let alone gigabit.

Thanks for your reply :cool:
I've found an E35M1-I in France but delivery for 31th August by ASUS !!! (e-shop said... :eek:)
If I can't have it, I will buy F1A75-M LE

I've saw too some topic speaking about 16GB on E35MI but I don't want buy 16Gb for nothing :(
For the moment, I will buy this RAM: G.Skill Value DDR3 2 x 4 Go PC10600 NT

No problem for 1080p, copy that :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.