SOLVED Hard Drive Stress Test Noobie

Status
Not open for further replies.

rivey

Contributor
Rebooted my desktop and tried again. The commands now work perfectly. All three drives came back fine with zero errors. Now onto badblocks. Thanks everyone for all the help. This is how I learn. Not a big fan of learning from a book or lecture.

Redcoat

MVP
I have tried to reproduce your reported error return - the only way I have found to do it is by entering "smartctl A -A /dev/ada0<cr>" (no quotes, of course).

So I have no idea what's happening to you, I'm afraid. Perhaps someone else here can help.

Redcoat

MVP
Rebooted my desktop and tried again. The commands now work perfectly. All three drives came back fine with zero errors. Now onto badblocks. Thanks everyone for all the help. This is how I learn. Not a big fan of learning from a book or lecture
Ah, OK, you sent that while I was reproducing (so to speak...). Glad you're through it.

danb35

Hall of Famer
while I was reproducing
Too-Much-Information-Logo.jpg

Redcoat

MVP

rivey

Contributor
"Testing with pattern 0xaa: set_o_direct: Inappropriate ioctl for device"

Noticed this line when I started the the badblocks tests. Does this "inappropriate ioctl for device" line mean that there is a problem with this test?

I am asking because I thought running badblocks on an 8TB drive should take at least a few days but at the current rate, it will take about 12 hours.

Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks

danb35

Hall of Famer
Does this "inappropriate ioctl for device" line mean that there is a problem with this test?
No, it's normal--you can ignore it.

rivey

Contributor
So a badblocks projected time for a WD Red 8TB of 12 to 14 hours sounds normal? Am running 2 of these drives at once.
Thanks.

danb35

Hall of Famer
So a badblocks projected time for a WD Red 8TB of 12 to 14 hours sounds normal?
No, but you probably aren't accounting for the fact that it, in effect, runs eight passes. It writes the whole disk with one pattern, then it reads it, then repeats with the next pattern, etc., through four different patterns.

rivey

Contributor
No, but you probably aren't accounting for the fact that it, in effect, runs eight passes. It writes the whole disk with one pattern, then it reads it, then repeats with the next pattern, etc., through four different patterns.

"root@freenas:~ # badblocks -b 4096 -vws /dev/da2
badblocks: No such file or directory while trying to determine device size
root@freenas:~ # badblocks -b 4096 -vws /dev/ada2
Checking for bad blocks in read-write mode
From block 0 to 1953506645
Testing with pattern 0xaa: set_o_direct: Inappropriate ioctl for device
19.83% done, 2:18:29 elapsed. (0/0/0 errors)"

So the above 19.83% is actually just the first of 4 passes? In that case, why don't they just state that in the above info?
Thanks

danb35

Hall of Famer
So the above 19.83% is actually just the first of 4 passes?
Actually, it's the first half of the first of four passes.
In that case, why don't they just state that in the above info?
Your guess is as good as mine. But the manpage tells you:
upload_2017-12-29_21-20-6.png

rivey

Contributor
Not sure about why, but when I came into the office this morning, badblocks is showing about 3457 errors. When I then switch to the second drive, it is showing 3467 errors but it started just after the first drive. Every time I switch between the two drives, I get the same 10 error difference. Is it possible that two identical drives will have the basically same number of errors at the same time frames?
This is definitely confusing. Both drives passed the Smart tests (all) with zero errors)
Any thoughts?

rivey

Contributor
The badblocks command I used on both was
badblocks -b 4096 -vws /dev/ada1
the second drive is ada2

Both drives are WD Red 8TB drives shucked from Easystore 8T enclosures from Best Buy.

Is there a different badblocks command that should be used with these drives?

rivey

Contributor
Decided to only run badblocks on one drive and after about 42 hours I have not errors. I am assuming that the previously reported errors were caused by the temporary use of an old i5 661 cpu and 8gb memory (not ecc) from an old desktop machine not being able to handle the two tests. Any thoughts? I will just continue to test the drives one at a time until all four are tested and I can afford my new hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.