SOLVED Hard Drive Stress Test Noobie

Status
Not open for further replies.

rivey

Contributor
The main problems with this situation was that I tried to do badblocks for two drives at one and started to get many errors on both drives. I finally decided to try just one of the drives and it just completed all tests. Badblocks took 120 hours to complete on the one drive. The drive in question is a WD Red 8TB. I think the main issue is the old processor and only 8 gigs of standard memory. When I am able to buy my properly configured FreeNAS server, I have no doubt that I would be able to run the badblocks tests on multiple drives at the same time. In the meantime, I will be running the tests one drive at a time. Hope this helps others. Thanks for all the help from the experts on this site.

Just installed FreeNAS 11.1 on a old computer to learn FreeNAS. I have not been able to figure out how to do hard drive from the GUI. I have been researching the forum for this but I can't figure out exactly what to do or how to do it. I am using an old i5 661 processor and mother board with 8 gigs of memory until I can afford the parts for a proper NAS. I have installed FreeNAS on a SSD drive and have two 8 TB WD Reds on the system. I want to run stress tests on the two WD drives but just can't figure out how. Any help will be appreciated. TIA

Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP

rivey

Contributor
I am printing this section now and will see how well I understand it. Having not read it yet, should I understand that the different commands are entered from the shell from the GUI?

Redcoat

MVP
You will be able to copy and paste commands from the document into the command line. I suggest that you set up SSH with Putty first - again, it's all in the guide ...

Edit - I didn't directly answer your question. I never tried to do them from the shell accessed from the GUI, so honestly I'm not sure.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The commands will be the same, whether you're using the shell through the GUI, at the console, or through an SSH connection. But use SSH. The GUI shell likes to eat control characters.

rivey

Contributor
You will be able to copy and paste commands from the document into the command line. I suggest that you set up SSH with Putty first - again, it's all in the guide ...

Edit - I didn't directly answer your question. I never tried to do them from the shell accessed from the GUI, so honestly I'm not sure.

Not a problem. I need to learn about SSH anyway so I might as well figure it out now. As my business is very slow, I have time to figure this stuff out.

rivey

Contributor
Starting to figure out SSH. Thanks for all the help. The Smart Long Tests will be done tomorrow morning and then I will start the Badblocks tests. When all that is done, I will do the same for two more hard drives. Thanks.

danb35

Hall of Famer
When all that is done, I will do the same for two more hard drives.
There's no need to wait--the SMART tests can all run at the same time, and using tmux, you can run all the badblocks tests simultaneously too.

rivey

Contributor
There's no need to wait--the SMART tests can all run at the same time, and using tmux, you can run all the badblocks tests simultaneously too.

Actually, the other two drives have not been installed yet so I can't do them. I am assuming that I can't run badblocks until the Smart tests are done (they are running all at the same time).

danb35

Hall of Famer
the other two drives have not been installed yet so I can't do them.
Ah, yes, that would make it much more difficult.
I am assuming that I can't run badblocks until the Smart tests are done (they are running all at the same time).
You can, but the SMART test only runs when the disk is idle. If you start badblocks running, the SMART test will wait until badblocks finishes.

rivey

Contributor
Another question for clarification. Should I get the results for the Smart tests before running the badblocks tests? The Smart tests have just completed and I want to make sure I am doing everything in the proper order. Thanks again.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Should I get the results for the Smart tests before running the badblocks tests?
The sequence is not critical, but it probably would be good to make sure the SMART test completed without errors before moving to the next step.

rivey

Contributor
I must be doing something wrong here to get the results. The following is a copy of what the screen is telling me. According to the tutorial, I think I have entered the proper command to obtain results for my SSD drive.
The drives are ada0 (SSD), ada1 (WD Red 8T), ada2 (WD Red 8T). I am assuming that I have made an error but am not sure what.

Code:
login as: root
root@192.168.20.230's password:
Last login: Thu Dec 28 13:58:26 2017 from 192.168.20.115
FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE (FreeNAS.amd64) #0 r321665+d4625dcee3e(freenas/11.1-stable): Wed Dec 13 16:33:42 UTC 2017

FreeNAS (c) 2009-2017, The FreeNAS Development Team
		All rights reserved.
		FreeNAS is released under the modified BSD license.

For more information, documentation, help or support, go here:
		http://freenas.org
Welcome to FreeNAS

Warning: settings changed through the CLI are not written to
the configuration database and will be reset on reboot.

root@freenas:~ # smartctl –A /dev/ada0
smartctl 6.5 2016-05-07 r4318 [FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

ERROR: smartctl takes ONE device name as the final command-line argument.
You have provided 2 device names:
–A
/dev/ada0

Use smartctl -h to get a usage summary

root@freenas:~ #

Last edited by a moderator:

Redcoat

MVP
use a lower case "a": smartctl –a /dev/ada0

Last edited by a moderator:

rivey

Contributor

Redcoat

MVP
No, I don't - both "variants" work for me - different output, but both "work". Does smartctl -h give you the command summary?

rivey

Contributor
No, I don't - both "variants" work for me - different output, but both "work". Does smartctl -h give you the command summary?

Yes it does and I will go through that later. Just got a call from a client and have to make an emergency service call. There is a problem with an alarm I must deal with ASAP. Thanks

Redcoat

MVP
OK. What does "Storage", "View Disks" show?

rivey

Contributor
Name

Serial

Disk Size

Description

Transfer Mode

HDD Standby

Advanced Power Management

Acoustic Level

Enable S.M.A.R.T.

S.M.A.R.T. extra options