Hard drive recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draco69

Cadet
Hi, I have been using freenas for a while now for a data storage server but I have run in to a problem. My main drive on the server came up with an issue. When I loaded freenas the drive had a bad report on file size. I searched the forums and google for answers with several solution from upgrading freenas, changing to nas4free and upgrading the hardware. None of these solutions worked. I tried running freebsd on vmware on my windows system but that was impossible to navigate with no graphical interface and I also tried ubuntu on vmware to access the partition but still no luck. Recovery software only recovered a small amount of the data.

Is there a program I can use to access the partition. Windows disk management says the partition is healthy.

the server was a dual core 3GHz, 2Gb ram all drives were separate as ufs.

new server is a dual cor 2.2GHz, 2Gb ram.

Newer bios with the new hardware.

I am aware that freenas now requires stupid amounts of memory which is why I always stuck to the older builds while I was looking for another software to run a nas server. I have no use for 8gb ram in a home server and I dont use zfs.

I would be grateful of any help to recover the files from the drive.

Thanks Baz

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
If it's ufs, you should be able to load up any live Linux distribution and view the files.

Draco69

Cadet
I loaded up to Ubuntu and it couldnt find the drive, although I am not very good with linux as it took me half an hour just to find that out. With freenas it shows the drive but when trying to import the volume it will not show the drive.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Please note that versions of FreeNAS after 9.2.x will only do zfs. If the disks are in ufs, you will have to try an earlier version of FreeNAS

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Is the drive seen in BIOS? If it's not seen there, the drive is not going to be seen in anything.

Ubuntu can mount a ufs disk just fine, but you have to use a couple of brain cells to figure it out.

Draco69

Cadet
Is the drive seen in BIOS? If it's not seen there, the drive is not going to be seen in anything.

Ubuntu can mount a ufs disk just fine, but you have to use a couple of brain cells to figure it out.

Yes the drive is visible in the bios and detectable by windows, freenas, nas4free and freebsd, however freenas or nas4free wont mount the volume.

I am a very proficient windows user but unfortunately I have never been able to get my head around linux where alot has to be done at the command line level.

snaptec

Guru
You have a single ufs drive with no Backup, right?
If yes, First step:
Get another hdd equal or bigger size and do a dd dump before you try anything else.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Last edited:

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Yes the drive is visible in the bios and detectable by windows, freenas, nas4free and freebsd, however freenas or nas4free wont mount the volume.

I am a very proficient windows user but unfortunately I have never been able to get my head around linux where alot has to be done at the command line level.
I'm not sure why you would be trying to do anything with the disk in Windows at all... That just runs the risk of losing the data.

Status
Not open for further replies.