HAPPY!!... I installed ESXi and Freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

fede2222

Dabbler
Well... i tried to move 2 of my pools that were with a Core i5, the Corei5 was too much for Freenas. I have a lot of problems with the "new" platform (MSI 975x platinum + Core2Duo)... lost devices, random checksum error on pool, after try and try i cannot make work with no errors (replace disks, cables, controllers, etc). I suspect the mother/cpu has something (ram tested with memtest), i will check later. Then frustrated i move again to the mother/corei5 combo... but i want to "fight" a little more.

Core i5 was too much... so give a try to install ESXi 5... after solving some obstacles (using some posts at the freenas forum, try and error and lot of pacience), now i have an ESX5 working with a VM Freenas accessing the Disks via RDM. I made a scrub on a pool (4 green drives) at 291 Mb/s !!!! I have RAM and more cores to install another VMs and dont waste the Core i5

Im so happy that i want to share!!... months ago im totally noob to all of this (im IT developer... not much on Server Administration)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yep. He's happy now, and in a few weeks he'll be crying over his lost data.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Maybe, maybe not. Just because something is dangerous does not mean that catastrophe is inevitable. Loaded guns have been pointed at people without actually being fired.

But if I understand correctly that he put ESXi on a hardware platform that was unstable enough that FreeNAS was having trouble, well, ESXi is a whole lot more tetchy than FreeBSD about so many things ... how'd they put that? Oh yeah, "Iceberg... right ahead!"

fede2222

Dabbler
oops... i don't expect that...

In your experience... RDM, Freenas, ESXi (not blaiming anyone in particular) is not a good combo?... or is a dangerous combo if you dont know how to manage?.. i'm exposed to errors?

Is there a post or something that you can direct me with more info?... I search on Freenas Forum and saw some posts with RDM errors, but looks that problem associated to configuration problems.

I choose RDM because if i need it i can move the disks to another Freenas server in case of catastrophy.

Yep. He's happy now, and in a few weeks he'll be crying over his lost data.
lol... well, i learn a lot on the process. But certainly i'm going to cry if i lost data... the really important data (photos of my kids) is on safe location, because my wife will kill me if i lost one... :P

Maybe, maybe not. Just because something is dangerous does not mean that catastrophe is inevitable. Loaded guns have been pointed at people without actually being fired.

But if I understand correctly that he put ESXi on a hardware platform that was unstable enough that FreeNAS was having trouble, well, ESXi is a whole lot more tetchy than FreeBSD about so many things ... how'd they put that? Oh yeah, "Iceberg... right ahead!"

To clarify: Always same disks, PSU, etc.
Timeline:
1) Corei5/Asus PDP55, Freenas Only, Working flawlessly
2) Move to Core2Duo/975 Platinum, Freenas Only, not working well. Lost device, random cksum error, etc.
3) Going back to Corei5/Asus PDP55 but this time Freenas on ESXi, at the moment, working ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.