Guide to creating a plugin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hexland

Contributor
Sorry if this is a n00b question, but is there a guide somewhere on how to create a plugin for FreeNAS?

I've set up a jail that runs as a Perforce server, and since I have a little time to spare - I'd like to clean it up and make it a self contained plugin.

It probably has a very very small niche of people who might use it (i.e probably just me), but I guess its about one of the only ways I might be able to contribute to the project.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Sorry if this is a n00b question, but is there a guide somewhere on how to create a plugin for FreeNAS?

I've set up a jail that runs as a Perforce server, and since I have a little time to spare - I'd like to clean it up and make it a self contained plugin.

It probably has a very very small niche of people who might use it (i.e probably just me), but I guess its about one of the only ways I might be able to contribute to the project.
You want to get a working FreeBSD Port first. There's a ton of documentation on how to do this and I just stumbled along for a while and but eventually ended up what I needed.
You then compile a PBI, but since it's for FreeNAS you also want to add in the python GUI stuff that gives you the ability to stop and start it.

If you want, you can start with my source and just change stuff to work for your application. https://github.com/josh4trunks/FreeNAS-Plugins

Hexland

Contributor
Many thanks Josh... thats a great jumping off point. I shall play around with that over the weekend.

Thx

Hexland

Contributor
I just set up a raw P4 server in a jail - I never got around to setting it up as a plugin. I got totally distracted with changing job and moving states and stuff :)

I've never come across the commons stuff though, but that looks really cool -- now that *would* be a great plugin!

I should have a play with that over the weekend, once I'm finished playing with the new 9.3 beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.