Greetings, a newbie seeking advice and recommendations, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burador

Dabbler
After a devastating crash of one of my hard drives which contained personal photos and videos and some entertainment media like movies and music, I'm now looking into making my digital files more organized this time. The reason I can't and did not backup my media files is that they are mostly reproducable with cost in time and money of course. More importantly, it's not just practical to backup terrabytes of data using terrabytes of data again. I can't justify the cost to our in-house financial controller, my wife. So I've read around and find FreeNAS really appealing to me. In fact, I'm only a click or two away to purchase the following:

1. Supermicro ATX DDR3 1600 LGA 1150 Motherboards X10SAE-O,
2. Kingston Technology ValueRAM 4GB 1333MHz DDR3L ECC CL9 DIMM SR x8 1.35V with TS Desktop Memory KVR13LE9S8/4
3. Intel Pentium Processor G3258(3M Cache, 3.20 GHz)
4. 4x4tb of WD Red
5. Kingston SSDNow V300 60GB SSD for SLOG and L2ARC,
6. Seasonic P-520FL Platinum 520W Full Modular Power Supply
7. UPS (any recomendations?)

The only turn-off for me is that I can't expand it by adding a disk now and then. For this, I'm looking into SnapRAID. It is billed supposedly as the ideal system for large media files that rarely change. My question is, for a basic user like me, who will mostly just store pictures and movies in the server which will seldom be read and most likely will never be edited.

I intend to use the server as 1. Repository of my and my wife's documents, 2. Backup storage of our photos and home videos, and 3. Storage/ transcode media files like TV Series, Movies and some music. For the movies, I think this will be the most used feature as my kids watch their educational shows every morning as they aren't allowed to watch cable at the moment. For the movies again, I think it will peak to up to 3 or for users but I'm sure this will be very rare (just in case we'll visitors, just like my sisters and parents).

Just to be clear, I am really into buying the above hardware. But just to be sure I want to seek guidance from the professionals like you guys.

1. Is my choice of hardware good enough?
2. Will I benefit from deploying a powerful server hardware and FreeNAS for my use case?
3. If I decide to use SnapRAID instead, will it benefit from the ECC RAM that I will be using?
4. With the above hardware running 24/7, how much watts will it be using per day?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
  • Don't buy Kingston RAM. See here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...or-supermicro-x10-lga1150-motherboards.23291/ 8GB RAM minimum.
  • Ditch the SLOG / L2ARC
  • Get a more powerful CPU for transcoding, but make sure it supports ECC.
  • Do backups. Crashplan is not expensive. Neither is amazon glacier.
  • You can probably get by with a lower wattage PSU.
  • If you need to save some time and money, get a lenovo TS140 or 440 and add some ECC RAM.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Supermicro ATX DDR3 1600 LGA 1150 Motherboards X10SAE-O,
A better choice would be the Supermicro X10SLL-F or one of the more expensive derivatives/similar models. For details, check out the X10 FAQ (link is in my sig).

6. Seasonic P-520FL Platinum 520W Full Modular Power Supply
That's a fanless model, right? Bad idea. Either add a fan to promote airflow or get a different PSU. Even a Seasonic G-450 or G-550 would be enough with some room to grow. At these capacities, Seasonic Platinum is a bit overkill.

Burador

Dabbler
anodos:

Read the recommendation for the RAM I'm now getting Crucial. I had Crashplan before. It didn't work for me then. Probably because of my previous system. I'll take a look at it now as it seems popular here. At the moment what I have is a Google Drive. Incidentally, is there a way to sync FreeNAS with Google Drive? My plan right now is to use my Android Box, a Minix, to the FreeNAS and configure it somehow to sync my personal files to Google Drive. I would love it if FreeNAS can do it for me. Thanks.

Ericloewe:

Yup, that's a fanless model. I just thought that a Platinum rated PSU will be more efficient. Anyway, I'll take a look at your suggestion. Thanks for your comments and pointing me to the right direction.

Last edited:

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
A. SnapRAID doesn't apply in FreeNAS, so I don't know why you would ask about SnapRAID here.

B. Crashplan works wonderfully on FreeNAS.

C. There is no way for FreeNAS to handle Google Drive (in fact, there is no real way for any *NIX OS to handle Google Drive)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yup, that's a fanless model. I just thought that a Platinum rated PSU will be more efficient. Anyway, I'll take a look at your suggestion. Thanks for your comments and pointing me to the right direction.
It is, but Gold vs Platinum at these power levels is mostly irrelevant.
The only reason to get something better than G-Series is if you really want better power output and a better fan.

Burador

Dabbler
In theory you could run Arq Backup in a Windows VM in a VirtualBox jail.

I'll give Arq Backup a try. But considering that Crashplan seems to be popular with FreeNAS users then I might as well use it. I find their Seeded Backup a come on as I won't have to start from zero. Thank you all for your replies.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Crashplan seems to be popular with FreeNAS users
It's certainly a lot more convenient to use a FreeNAS plugin than the approach you'd have to take with Arq. However, I see a lot of people in the forum running into trouble each time the CrashPlan client software auto-updates. I would not want that kind of uncertainty with my backup solution. It might even be worth considering running CrashPlan in an Ubuntu Server VM, just to avoid those issues.

adrianwi

Guru
Using ownCloud on FreeNAS allows you to connect with Dropbox/Google Drive/etc. for some external storage.

Burador

Dabbler
It's certainly a lot more convenient to use a FreeNAS plugin than the approach you'd have to take with Arq. However, I see a lot of people in the forum running into trouble each time the CrashPlan client software auto-updates. I would not want that kind of uncertainty with my backup solution. It might even be worth considering running CrashPlan in an Ubuntu Server VM, just to avoid those issues.

With their seeded backup and unlimited plans, Crashplan looks very attractive for me. I think it will be worth the trouble.

Using ownCloud on FreeNAS allows you to connect with Dropbox/Google Drive/etc. for some external storage.

But if Google Drive will be more stable then right now I'm second guessing. But with honestly Google Drive is my priority as it already has most of my files anyway.

Burador

Dabbler
Hi all,

So it's me again. I read the RAM recommendations for Supermicro X10 LGA1150 motherboards posted above and tried to look for a mobo compatible with the list A. I ended up with Supermicro Motherboard X10SLM+-F. Don't ask me why I chose this mobo bec. I just took a guess. Anyways, based on my understanding of the recommendations I ended up with this memory Crucial 8GB DDR3-1600 CL11 (CT102472BD160B). However, upon checking with Crucial's website, the memory recommended is not one of the memorys recommended for X10SLM+-F. Please help.

ethereal

Guru

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hi all,

So it's me again. I read the RAM recommendations for Supermicro X10 LGA1150 motherboards posted above and tried to look for a mobo compatible with the list A. I ended up with Supermicro Motherboard X10SLM+-F. Don't ask me why I chose this mobo bec. I just took a guess. Anyways, based on my understanding of the recommendations I ended up with this memory Crucial 8GB DDR3-1600 CL11 (CT102472BD160B). However, upon checking with Crucial's website, the memory recommended is not one of the memorys recommended for X10SLM+-F. Please help.
That's explained in the RAM FAQ, too. ;)

Crucial uses two sets of model numbers. Each part has a "real" product number, like CT102472BD160B, plus one model number for each "system" Crucial guarantees compatibility with. CT4486353 is the same as CT2KIT102472BD160B.

Status
Not open for further replies.