Newbie q&a Ryzen build

Status
Not open for further replies.

aalve

Cadet
Hi there,
I am newbie here on FreeNAS, I have never used FreeNAS before and please forgive my questions.
First of all I am convinced for using FreeNAS for my home NAS to store photos movies critical home and business copies etc. as from my research it looks as the best free NAS OS someone could find.
I know that there are some previous answers but I want some clear ones for the new version 11.2.

So I want to be sure for :
a) what is exactly the restore config db path?
Let's say that the my boot SSD fails and I need a new one.
I will install the FreeNAS OS on a new SSD and restore the config file.
1: the RAID1 disks should be connected before the OS installation and this is totally safe for the disks.
2: the RAID1 disks should be removed disconnected from the mobo before the OS installation.

b) backing up. I want an automated (by night) backup every two or three days.
One full and then two or three incremental and repeat.
I will have two RAID1, 3tb disks. One 6tb USB3 connected locally on NAS.
I want a backup (not rsync) on that USB3 disk.
How is that possible?

c) The server will act mostly when we are at home. I prefer to set wake on LAN for energy consumption and longer hardware life.
Does FreeNAS OS involved or is just mobo characteristic?

Upcoming build
Ryzen 3 2200g
Asrock AB350M PRO4
8GB RAM non ECC
SSD ADATA 128GB SX6000
3TB TOSHIBA P300 /7200/64MB
400 WATT/AEROCOOL 180QS

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer
what is exactly the restore config db path?
The configuration database is stored at /data/freenas-v1.db, but there's no reason you'd need to know that to do the operation you're describing--download it through the web GUI, upload it through the web GUI.
I want an automated (by night) backup every two or three days.
FreeNAS doesn't have any built-in capabilities to do this; you'd need either additional software in a jail, or some kind of backup script. Both have been discussed around here quite a bit.
I want a backup (not rsync) on that usb3 disk.
I don't know how you distinguish between a backup and rsync; rsync would seem a very likely way to create a backup.
I prefer to set wake on Lan for energy consumption and longer hardware life.
Not really recommended, as plenty of maintenance tasks take place when you're not actively using the machine.
Upcoming build
Please rethink that build, as pretty much none of it lines up with our hardware recommendations.

aalve

Cadet
Your are absolutely right! I was so excited about Ryzen that I bought the hardware and now I am realizing that there is no support for Ryzen on freenas. Any thoughts about freenas ryzen support? So I installed ubuntu 17.10 desktop and it looks to be working fine. I am not sure about server release but I will try it. I hope freenas ryzen support will be soon released! Ryzen looks so promising for server use.
About the "db path" I meant the procedure to follow after an ssd fail.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.