Going from 9.2.17 to 9.30-M4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

victorhooi

Contributor
Hi,

I'm currently running FreeNAS 9.2.1.7 on a HP MicroServer (running on a Micro SD card), and I thought I might like to give FreeNAS 9.3 a try.

Firstly, is there a changelist somewhere that lists the headline features coming in Freenas 9.3?

(I know there's a bug-tracker - e.g. https://bugs.freenas.org/versions/101 - however, I meant something more like, these are the five big things we're introducing in 9.3).

Secondly, how "stable" is it these days? Is anybody using it as their normal NAS?

Thirdly, what is the best way to install it? I can see at:

http://download.freenas.org/nightly/x64/

that there's a ISO and also a GUI upgrade image. Is it possible to use the GUI upgrade image to go from 9.2.1.7 to 9.3-M4? Or should I be using the ISO to install it to the MicroSD?

Regards,
Victor

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You'd need a clean installation.

If you go ahead with this, backup your configuration before advancing, do not upgrade your pool and (ideally) use a new boot drive.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It's beta software.

I think enough is said just by saying that.

J

jkh

Hmm, a few questions in one post here! I'll try my best to answer them in order:

1. The ReleaseNotes for 9.3 are still being created since, you know, the docs are always the last thing to get updated and checked in (though to be fair, Dru has done a pretty good job of keeping the docs for 9.3 up-to-date as we've made changes - see the "upcoming 9.3" link at the top of doc.freenas.org). Still, no "top 5 new features" punch-list, or even a comprehensive feature summary, yet. Folks will simply have to look at the git repo change logs to put this together for now.

2. It's actually pretty stable - a few folks are using it in non-mission critical scenarios with good success, but of course it has not been properly QA'd and our official position has to be that 9.3-M4 is only good for kicking puppies and eating kittens. Your mileage may vary. :)

3. Either the ISO or the GUI upgrade will do fine at bringing you forward from 9.2.1.x or even earlier releases.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Hear that? Jordan says we can kick puppies and eat kittens.

J

jkh

It's beta software.

I think enough is said just by saying that.
Actually, it's not even BETA yet. That's about another month away. :) 9.3 is currently in "late ALPHA" status, with the ALPHA broken into 4 milestones.

Status
Not open for further replies.