Ghost disks in Hyper-V setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revilo

Dabbler
My setup is Windows 2012 R2 physical machine with hyper-v running a Gen 1 VM with freenas 9.10.1-U2
I have 1 VHD for the freenas boot drive, a 32GB VHD and a 2TB physical drive directly attached to the VM
From the attached image ada0 is the 32GB VHD and 2TB is da7

When navigating to Storage -> View Disks I find that there are multiple 'ghost' entries in the list of disks.
They don't exist in the system and generally the disk size comes up as 0 however there does seem to be ghost entries of real disks too.

I think new entries are added sometimes when I boot up the system so using the method described here to remove the entries from freenas may not be a solution.

What do you guys suggest doing? Is this a bug in the system?

Attachments

• freenas ghost disks.JPG
    freenas ghost disks.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 424

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Sounds like Hyper-V being Hyper-V. A pisspoor VM solution. I run 18 Hyper-V hosts at work and I hate them.

We experienced this when we were messing around with FreeNAS on Hyper-V. It usually occurred when FreeNAS was rebooted and FreeNAS assigned new labels to the drives. Hyper-V thought the other labels were drives but they didn't really exist.

Hyper-V is a really terrible solution for FreeNAS. Of all the hypervisors we messed around with, it was the one that caused the most issues, including wrecking a data set.

I'd stay far away from Hyper-V if I were you.

Revilo

Dabbler
We experienced this when we were messing around with FreeNAS on Hyper-V. It usually occurred when FreeNAS was rebooted and FreeNAS assigned new labels to the drives. Hyper-V thought the other labels were drives but they didn't really exist.

Hyper-V is a really terrible solution for FreeNAS. Of all the hypervisors we messed around with, it was the one that caused the most issues, including wrecking a data set.

I'd stay far away from Hyper-V if I were you.

Was the data set that got ruined a virtual drive or physical?
I have read about turning off volume scrubbing in FreeNAS, and when mounting physical drives - make sure the drive has write caching disabled...

I've only just started using Hyper-V and i'm quickly growing to hate it. I think even VirtualBox is better. I've installed Windows 2012 as the host and activated it. If I could, I would have windows in a EXSi VM and FreeNAS in another but I've committed to FreeNAS in Windows host. Oh well!

The drives were virtual. It was purely experimental, but one day the pool just couldn't be mounted. Nothing other than junk was on it, but it was interesting to see.

Revilo

Dabbler
I know this is a bit old now but I have just come across a Microsoft article relating to this issue and I wondered if we can implement this on FreeNAS?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...best-practices-for-running-freebsd-on-hyper-v
It basically says you can create labels (using glabel) for each drive partition so that the old devices are not orphaned and new ones created.

I have not been able to update to any newer version of FreeNAS since 9.10.1-U1 as I get a mountroot error every time I boot to any other version. If this gets around the mountroot error then I will be very happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.