FreeNAS to Store VHDs for Hyper V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Murphy

Cadet
Hello all, questions like this keep me awake at night so though I would ask it!

If I use FreeNAS as storage for my Hyper V VHD/VHDx virtual disks (be it iScsi or a folder share \\servername\VHDs) and the VHDs are then formatted in NTFS, the data stored on the NTFS VHDs is still susceptible to "bit-rot" or data corruption as if they were a physical disk - Correct? All ZFS will do in this case is ensure that the VHD files will be 100% ok but not the Data in them that the Virtual OS has written to the VHD disk?

Is that a correct assumption?

Thanks,
Tom

Nick2253

Wizard
No, you misunderstand bit rot. Bit rot is not a virtual or theoretical problem, it's a physical problem. What happens is that data that's written on a physical device is corrupted in some way, and the file system doesn't know about it. Typically, bit rot refers to magnetic sectors that lose their magnetic orientation over time; in other words, the magnetic field "rots" away.

ZFS ensures that the data that's written to the physical disks, whether it's a file or an iSCSI volume (whatever the format), will be the same as the data that is read from the disk.

Tom Murphy

Cadet
Perfect, thank you Nick! :)

Nick2253

Wizard
Happy to help! Let us know if you need anything else.

Stux

MVP
And ZFS snapshots can protect file systems from corruption.

So if your NTFS zvol corrupted, you could restore/mount a snapshotted clone and restore files.

Status
Not open for further replies.