geli error on zVol [Resolved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Himan Zero

Cadet
I used to follow the section "18.12. Encrypting Disk Partitions" in the FreeBSD documents to create a geli encrypted zvol in my FreeNAS server under FreeNAS version 9.2.1.5. It worked fine. But someday, when I upgraded the system to 9.2.1.8, I suddenly found I could not attach the encrypted zvol anymore. Whatever I do, system shows the following message:

geli: Provider zvol/mypool/gelizvol is invalid.

I can replay the error in following steps under version 9.3 stable:

(Suppose my zpool is named as 'mypool' and I have created a zvol namely 'gelizvol'.)
Step one - initialize geli on gelizvol:
sudo geli init /dev/zvol/mypool/gelizvol
(press Enter twice to give a blank password)
Step two - attach the gelizvol
sudo geli attach zvol/mypool/gelizvol
(press Enter to give a blank password)

Then the system shows the error message:
geli: Provider zvol/mypool/gelizvol is invalid.

I have tried many times in 9.2.1.5 and such operation will complete without error but when I go back to the newer version, I constantly get such error message and cannot get my geli encrypted zvol back.

I'm not sure whether this is a bug or I have missed something. Can anyone help me?

D

dlavigne

Please create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
This is really an unsupported option in FreeNAS. If you want to have all of the control and power of FreeBSD you should just use FreeBSD. Also as there is no development of 9.2.1.x anymore don't be surprised if the first thing asked is "does this happen on 9.3?"

Himan Zero

Cadet
OK it's resolved now. I updated to the latest version today and I can safely set sysctl vfs.zfs.vol.mode=1 without kernel panic. Big thanks to the team!

Status
Not open for further replies.