Full SSD or HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tecken

Dabbler
Is FreeNAS faster with full SSD drives or full HDDs? I want to build a second system but is it worth filling it up with full solid state drives than regular hard drives??

Last edited by a moderator:

snaptec

Guru
That depends on your needs if you need it.
Sure an all flash zfs is faster than with equal amount of hdds

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Tecken

Dabbler
if i wanted to use it as a NAS and a few containers for plex and maybe a VM. It will have 16 gb of RAM. so it will be better?

snaptec

Guru
Sure SSDs are better, but maybe not necessary.
How much storage do you need?
How many disks?
What pool layout do you consider?
Do you have needed bandwidth and IOPS numbers?

For home use normally HDDs are more than enough.

Tecken

Dabbler
i have about 2 TB of SSD 1 TB 1 500 GB and two 250 GB SSD. what layout would you suggest in doing? would SSD be better for running plex conatiner and File sharing?

Tecken

Dabbler
i have an i7 -6700 16 gm of RAM and there will be about 4 to 5 people using as well

snaptec

Guru
If its normal file sharing HDDs will be more than enough.
If you would like to use the NAS f.e. as Video storage for editing, you need 10GBe, much more RAM and then SSDs could make sense.
HDDs will (mostly) saturate your 1 GB uplink without problems. So why using ssds?

styno

Patron
It seems you'll be better of with normal hdd's and use the money on recommended hardware. But first of all, start reading up on FreeNAS and how to properly build a system.

Tecken

Dabbler
well i just want to make secondary system and i am just wondering if making it full of SSDs would make it alot faster than just HHDs? and i have enough of SSDs about 2.5 TB worth of them to make a secondary system. Would it make it alot faster for File Sharing VMs, containers and backups from the first system to make it worth creating it full of SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.