FTP users permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elo

Contributor
NOTE: I have solved this and I have expanded the post with the solution to help others.:)

I am using 9.2.1.3 and I hope someone can guide me in the following:

I want to give a number of users access to a CIF that resides on my NAS from the outside world. The CIF is accessible to everyone on the LAN and is owned by nobody. From the LAN everyone has r,w and x permissions. Users (different from the LAN users) loging in from WAN shall ONLY have r permission. I am using a ProFTP directive (DefaulRoot) that forces these users to end up in a specific directory on the CIF when logging on the FTP server from a remote FTP client. When setting up the users generally there is a possibility to turn off their W and X permission from Group and Others etc. When trying to do this the changes are note saved. I can not find ( http://www.proftpd.org/docs/directives/linked/by-name.html ) a ProFTP directive that achieves the desired effect. I do understand that there seem to be a conflict between giving users on the LAN (they are not the same users as those loging in from the WAN) all permissions but not doing this for the external users.
I am sure a lot of people have this same need and would really appreciate to be directed in the right direction (I have studied the FreeNAS documentation and this Forum but can find no solution).

Edit: I did find this directive (ProFTP) which seems to work and that restricts WRITE and DELETE. It also has username expansion

<Directory ~/anon-ftp>
<Limit WRITE DELE>
DenyAll (If instead DenyUser user1,user2 is used, then only user1 and user2 is affected)
</Limit>
</Directory>

Status
Not open for further replies.