FTP Service Cannot be Started

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have recently set up a NAS Server using FreeNas 9.2 on my home network. I wish to use FTP to remotely access files on a ZFS volume. I have already forwarded port 21 on my router, however when I attempt to start the 'FTP Service' I get the message "The service could not be started." and these are the console messages:
Jan 27 01:26:11 NAS Server notifier: proftpd not running?
Jan 27 01:26:11 NAS Server notifier: Stopping avahi-daemon.
Jan 27 01:26:12 NAS Server notifier: Starting proftpd.
Jan 27 01:26:17 NAS Server notifier: NAS_Server.local proftpd[4132]: warning: unable to determine IP address of 'NAS_Server.local'
Jan 27 01:26:17 NAS Server notifier: NAS_Server.local proftpd[4132]: error: no valid servers configured
Jan 27 01:26:17 NAS Server notifier: NAS_Server.local proftpd[4132]: Fatal: error processing configuration file '/usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf'
Jan 27 01:26:17 NAS Server root: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/proftpd: WARNING: failed to start proftpd
Jan 27 01:26:17 NAS Server notifier: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/proftpd: WARNING: failed to start proftpd
Jan 27 01:26:18 NAS Server notifier: Stopping avahi-daemon.

My current NAS configuration is as follows:
  • Dell XPS running FreeNas OS
  • 3GB RAM
  • Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7250, 2GHz
  • 3 External ZFS Drives
My FTP Settings:
  • Port: 21
  • Clients: 0
  • Connections: 0
  • Login Attempts: 1
  • Timeout: 600
  • Allow Anonymous Login: TRUE
  • Path: /mnt/Share
  • Allow Local User Login: TRUE
  • Allow Transfer Resumption: TRUE
  • Always Croot: TRUE
If anyone has any advice on further steps to take to resolve the issue, I would be grateful for the support. I am happy to provide more information if needed.
- HR

Thanks, I had a look at the troubleshooting on the link you provided, and I executed the command sockstat -4p 21, and nothing appeared in the list so I added the local IP address of my FreeNAS Server to the 'Host Name Database' in Network > Global Configuration, however I am still getting the same error when I try to start the FTP service.

Could you also tell me how I should determine what the Nameservers in Global Configuration should be set to so it works with my network?

Also, whenever I change settings in Global Configuration, the following message is shown in the console:
avahi-daemon[25526]: WARNING: No NSS support for mDNS detected, consider installing nss-mdns!

Thanks for your support.

D

dlavigne

I added the local IP address of my FreeNAS Server to the 'Host Name Database' in Network > Global Configuration, however I am still getting the same error when I try to start the FTP service.

What exactly did you type into that field?

Could you also tell me how I should determine what the Nameservers in Global Configuration should be set to so it works with my network?

This setting is only needed if the box needs access to the Internet (e.g. to install plugins). 8.8.8.8 should work for any network.

Also, whenever I change settings in Global Configuration, the following message is shown in the console:
avahi-daemon[25526]: WARNING: No NSS support for mDNS detected, consider installing nss-mdns!

That message can be ignored.

Thanks for the confirmation on the other questions I had.

In the field I typed:
This is the static local IP within my home network for the NAS Server

D

dlavigne

If that's all you typed, that is why it did not make a difference. It also needs the hostname of the system (from the System Info page). Something like this (with one space between the IP address and hostname):

10.0.0.3 freenas.local

Thank you. I am now able to turn on the FTP Service!

Your help and support has been much appreciated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.