FTP Login Fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conor Calby

Dabbler
Hello,

I have got datasets setup as so.
http://awesomescreenshot.com/0a81jwbn8e

My intention is to allow servers to FTP to my FreeNAS Server to upload a tar.gz backup.

To achieve this, I need to be able to configure the NAS server so that an account (EG: "opennotion") can only view the /mnt/Data/Backups/Website/OpenNotion directory and cannot see into any other directories.

I have permissions set on the OpenNotion dataset to this:
http://awesomescreenshot.com/0f51jwc344

So that members of the wheel group (EG the root user or my admin account can access it) and so can the opennotion user (who'll be logging in to transfer the backup); but no one else can.

The problem is, I get these errors:
Jul 29 20:52:00 mediasrv2 proftpd[13114]: 127.0.0.1 (192.168.1.83[192.168.1.83]) - opennotion chdir("/mnt/Data/Backups/Websites/OpenNotion"): Permission denied
Jul 29 20:52:13 mediasrv2 proftpd[13617]: 127.0.0.1 (192.168.1.83[192.168.1.83]) - opennotion chdir("/mnt/Data/Backups/Websites/OpenNotion"): Permission denied

Any help would be great :)

Thanks,

Conor Calby

Dabbler
Hello Guys,

I hate to bump a thread but this is pretty urgent as right now no backups are being accepted onto my NAS and we need the backups.

Thanks,

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Sorry, I got nothing(partly because I'm quite busy helping someone recover some data from a trashed zpool). That error message could be from 1 of quite a few things. :(

If you could forgive me for being kind of blunt, but FTPing for backups isn't something I'd recommend based on prior experience. The FTP protocol doesn't have any protection from data corruption, so if data get corrupted in-transit, your backup won't be good. I've seen small networks that were in the same room with just 50 feet of cable and a network switch that have noteworthy error rates over FTP despite never seeing actual errors when checking the network "health" during regular use, even after weeks of statistics. CIFS, NFS, Rsync, and ZFS replication do have protection so I'd strongly recommend you try to use those.

You may find that if you start using those your permissions issues may go away. Your permissions issue is so broad in scope that I don't have any recommendation for the exact issue. If you aren't experienced with Unix/Linux permissions you may find you are completely lost. They're not the same as Windows.

Have you checked the permissions to verify that they are correct from the command line?

Conor Calby

Dabbler
Sorry, I got nothing(partly because I'm quite busy helping someone recover some data from a trashed zpool). That error message could be from 1 of quite a few things. :(

If you could forgive me for being kind of blunt, but FTPing for backups isn't something I'd recommend based on prior experience. The FTP protocol doesn't have any protection from data corruption, so if data get corrupted in-transit, your backup won't be good. I've seen small networks that were in the same room with just 50 feet of cable and a network switch that have noteworthy error rates over FTP despite never seeing actual errors when checking the network "health" during regular use, even after weeks of statistics. CIFS, NFS, Rsync, and ZFS replication do have protection so I'd strongly recommend you try to use those.

You may find that if you start using those your permissions issues may go away. Your permissions issue is so broad in scope that I don't have any recommendation for the exact issue. If you aren't experienced with Unix/Linux permissions you may find you are completely lost. They're not the same as Windows.

Have you checked the permissions to verify that they are correct from the command line?
Thanks for your reply! :)

I understand about the problems with FTP... probably is, I don't have enough time to edit the backup script at the moment.

I think I've solved the problem.
Basically, "opennotion" needs to only be able to access the directory "/mnt/Data/Backups/Websites/OpenNotion". I have managed to do this by:
Adding execute permissions for all to "/mnt/Data/Backups" and "/mnt/Data/Backups/Websites"
and enabling "Always CHROOT".

paleoN

Wizard
I have managed to do this by:
Adding execute permissions for all to "/mnt/Data/Backups" and "/mnt/Data/Backups/Websites"
Naturally, the user account needs to have execute permissions to the earlier directories in the path. You might be interested in SFTP. Which I know is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.