Fresh install of FreeNas 9.10 Stable Web GUI stops loading or responding frequently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koval88

Dabbler
Hello,

I am new to FreeNas and still playing with it. I have build a NAS server running intel atom C2550 Mini-ITX ASROCK motherboard, 16GB ECC Crucial Server Memory, 4x 3TB WD Red HDD and Samsung Evo 850 120GB for caching.
I have it running off my USB stick. At first I installed it on this small SanDisk USB stick. The web gui was lagging and it took me at least 20 times to actually go through all the steps to set up RAIDZ2 pool. Every time I try to configure something or go to create a jail, it would hang there in infinite loop making me want to refresh the page. It's been in this stage since the beginning, then I thought that something was up with the USB stick that is making it very slow therefore I have decided to backup the config file and install a fresh freenas on the 3.0 USB Stick. After installation, I loaded the config file and it's still the same result, if something would not load, I'd often get the warning error that the error has occurred and goes away with no error messages.
Is that a known bug? or what might be the case that's bugging it? I'm getting a bit frustrated over this.

Please let me know.
Thank you!

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
After installation, I loaded the config file and it's still the same result
So did the Web GUI work fine prior to you loading the configuration file? Also, do you have a different USB or hard drive you install FreeNas onto (old small SSD would be ideal).

Koval88

Dabbler
So did the Web GUI work fine prior to you loading the configuration file? Also, do you have a different USB or hard drive you install FreeNas onto (old small SSD would be ideal).
I've used two different USB, the second one I've used is USB 3.0, even though my board has only USB 2.0, it still increases the speed because its not an SSD drive using 2.0 USB. I have SSD reserved for caching which is 120GB I do not want to waste that for the OS. I had issues with the web gui from the beginning prior even doing any configurations. I've tried 2 USB drives, 2.0 and 3.0. As I'm a noob with freenas, taking it as a learning experience, any info I can provide that would be useful?
I can't put in additional SSD drive to it as I am out of the power cable and already used splitter within a splitter. Don't want to put too much load on the PSU.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
This is probably not a bug, something is wrong with your setup. Try installing to the ssd just to see if anything changes. Once the system is running the ssd/USB are not really used so switching to USB 3 or ssd will not make it faster.

gpsguy

Try removing the SSD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Koval88

Dabbler
How exactly are you using an ssd for caching?
I'm not using it yet because I haven't migrated my system to nas server. It will mostly be used for subsonic and plex server as well as the ESXI VM's to increase performance. So far it's spare but I want to configure it once I get the nas server setup and running.

Koval88

Dabbler
This is probably not a bug, something is wrong with your setup. Try installing to the ssd just to see if anything changes. Once the system is running the ssd/USB are not really used so switching to USB 3 or ssd will not make it faster.

I don't see how would that increase any performance, I've tried on two different media, I still get the same result. This confuses the heck out of me. The USB device shouldn't be playing any role in this.

Try removing the SSD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What role would it play removing the SSD drive? it's not being actively used. I had that issue prior configuring any of the volumes

Koval88

Dabbler
Here is an example when I try to do something, the gui just gets stuck and not going anywhere, takes few refreshes to make it work. It's not on my end, I flushed my DNS, cleared my cache and tried different computers. Would often get an error has occurred message when trying to do something. I've attached some of the errors it would often times show when it does not load.
Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 12.23.07 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 12.23.58 AM.png

Here is an example of me trying to create a Unix share, I've tried few times but I could not even extend folders of /mnt it would just hang there with no action and would not get passed that.
Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 12.32.39 AM.png

Last edited:

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I'm not using it yet because I haven't migrated my system to nas server. It will mostly be used for subsonic and plex server as well as the ESXI VM's to increase performance. So far it's spare but I want to configure it once I get the nas server setup and running.
When you say you are using it as caching, people think you mean L2ARC, which you don't need. Bad wording on your part.

What browser are you using, and what extensions are being used on that browser?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Can you ping the server from the command line? Is there any packet loss?

Koval88

Dabbler
When you say you are using it as caching, people think you mean L2ARC, which you don't need. Bad wording on your part.

What browser are you using, and what extensions are being used on that browser?

Sorry for the confusion, English is not my native language. No I am not using L2ARC, I have it reserved for right now for future use.
I've used it on OS X in Safari and Chrome, on Windows it was chrome.
The only extensions I have is 1Password and adblock which I am not running on that particular site.

Upon further investigation, it seems that I am facing that issue more on one NIC than the other. I have 2 NIC's from two networks that are interconnected, on one of the network when I SSH to it, it breaks the connection, "packet_write_wait: Connection to 192.168.4.3: Broken pipe" haven't had that issue SSH'ing to my other NIC. I binded the NICs I can reach the 192.168.2.3 but not 192.168.4.3, getting request time out when pinging but can access through the GUI, got to check the firewall maybe I have ICMP disabled.
Today I've been messing with 192.168.2.3 and it was working well. The ping is good with no packet loss. Now I'm curious what could be the problem. It doesn't seem to be my network or my dummy switch.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
"2 networks interconnected"

Please explain what this means. It sounds like a half broken network to me. Are you using VLANs?

Koval88

Dabbler
I'm not using VLANs I have an actual firewall/router where I have multiple NICs set up for various networks. All networks are separate NATted. Yes it seems like there's an issue with one of the NIC configuration thats on 192.168.4.0/24 network.
I have two NIC's connecting to the firewall, one is on another network to have it available for AP users and another local only. They have pass through each other but I'd like to have it as redundant in case one link fails as I will have vSphere images stored on the NAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.