Frenas x86 on old PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

farinacci79

Cadet
Hello,

I'd like to build a little NAS using an old but perfectly working PC I've: which I select is based on AMD AthlonXP 1700+ on nForce2 400 MB, 1Gb DDR, OS HD for boot pata 40Gb, 2 x 1Tb to share, CD-rom reader.
I burned the last Freenas x86 rel on CD, make it boot but it never works with message "disk boot failure, insert a bootable disk".
I thought my cr-rom reader was broken, but trying to install Windows XP on the same PC with its cd-rom, all works perfectly.
I tried other hardware I've, similar configuration but AthlonXP 3000+ on Via KM400 MB and it fails boot as before.

The burned CD-rom works, I tried it on a VM in VirtualBox, on a new PC based on Intel i3 and on an very old notebook Acer Aspire 1350 with AthlonXP 2200+ and Sis chipset, and all times installing worked properly.

Which can be the problem? Hardware compatibility? nForce2 400 and Via Km400 not compatible? Old Sis chipset of a notebook yes?

I know my hardware is to light for and hard use of Freenas, but I need only to share 1TB HD on my home network.

Thanks

farinacci79

Cadet
FreeNAS won't work on that hardware. Look at other NAS distros.
Thanks,
I tought it was a compatiblity issue, but I cannot find any doc about chipset/cpu known problems, any link?

My problems are nForce2 400 and Via KM400 chipset?
Old Sis chipset based on the same socket and same CPU family (all are AthlonXP) works, so I think all is due to chipset, am I wrong?

farinacci79

Cadet
... I'm using x86 build, no 8Gb of ram can be used ...

My issue is about platform, not performance: on old Acer Apire notebook with 256Mb of ram installation and first boot work properly.

I'm not looking for performance, but only to share

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems

My issue is about platform, not performance: on old Acer Apire notebook with 256Mb of ram installation and first boot work properly.

You want your server to work, correct? Please read the documentation on FreeNAS. Your hardware is insufficient for FreeNAS, but there are other operating systems that will work with what you have.

enemy85

Guru
With that hw you could just try to make it work using NAS4FREE, but i'm not even sure of that.
As i already told you in the other thread, freenas 9+ won't work on that hw

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

What part of "You should not run FreeNAS with less than 8GB of RAM" and "FreeNAS is not meant for ancient hardware" did you not understand?

If you want details, please read the thorough stickies that have been written on the matter.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ok, I think the point has been made. The hardware is inadequate.. it does not meet the minimum requirements. Going to lock this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.