FreeNAS works with Raid or Replaces it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tethlah

Dabbler
Yeah, I tried Plex for a month and couldn't stand it, I couldn't customize it the way I did with my xbmc builds, it was literally 3x as slow as xbmc, I was having massive issues syncing it across the 6 media boxes in my home so I could just go from room to room and keep watching the same thing (like I can with xbmc). The Plex vs XBMC debate reminds me of iOS vs Android. iOS is great for just working out of the box without wanting to configure and mess around with background stuff (just like Plex) while Android is for someone who doesn't mind breaking shit when they fully customize and configure things (like XBMC). I'm the Dr House of Linux, so I'm find with killing off a few people while perfecting my stuff lol.

Considering modern SSDs are flash based, they suffer the same read/write limitations as a flash drive. The only difference between SSD Flash and USB Flash is quality of the components and implementation of SSD is improved over the cheaper counterparts, however one is the building block of the other and therefore are not really comparable as differentiating technologies as one technology is actually a component of the other. But I do see your point on the storage aspect. If that's the case, I may as well just partition an SSD. If I have an option, why would I purchase 2 SSDs to mirror AND 2 USBs to mirror when I can just purchase 2 SSDs? It's already established it's superior in performance and technology, so if I'm going to get them anyway why not just do it all on them? It seems a bit wasteful to get USBs only for the OS and SSDs only for a database when the SSD is more than capable of both, and if the OS is loaded into RAM and utilized from there, does it matter where it's being loaded from?

tethlah

Dabbler
OK, so until I'm running fibre (which will be a couple years), it looks like there's no point of taking the database off a HD, by then I'll just make a Solid State SQL server anyway.

Guess there is no point on getting 32GB flash drives, may as well just get 2 8GB drives to mirror on the back of the board (preferably low profile so they don't somehow accidentally get snapped off).

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Ssd and USB drives are not the same. The flash used in them are different.

Plex works better than my xbmc and MySQL setup. I don't know why you would have syncing issues at all since that's the one thing they did better than xbmc. I have found that overall it's a better setup for me.

tethlah

Dabbler
Ssd and USB drives are not the same. The flash used in them are different.
I just said that lol.

Yeah, I just like XBMC better, my UI looks amazing and it's lightening fast even on a Raspberry Pi. The plex menu's took between 20-30 seconds to load (with only 1200 movies or so in the menu) while xbmc can do it in 2 seconds. For some reason Hulu wouldn't even work on plex, and often I'd have to go through Codec conversions to get all my movies and stuff to work with Plex when with XMBC I've yet to have a Codec rejected.

Now my buddy uses Plex and he swears by it. But when I was benchmarking the two, even his beefed up computer with Plex just didn't compare to the modified XBMC I'm using on a low grade raspberry pi (and with plex, you simply cannot make the modifications, especially on the mobile devices because those apps are locked down).

Like I said, it's like comparing iOS to Android, it just depends on your end goals and what you are willing or want to do to get to that point. High tolerance people tend to prefer Plex while OCD people who are never happy with anything and need to modify all that they touch tend to prefer XBMC.

Last edited:

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I just said that lol.

Yeah, I just like XBMC better, my UI looks amazing and it's lightening fast even on a Raspberry Pi. The plex menu's took between 20-30 seconds to load (with only 1200 movies or so in the menu) while xbmc can do it in 2 seconds. For some reason Hulu wouldn't even work on plex, and often I'd have to go through Codec conversions to get all my movies and stuff to work with Plex when with XMBC I've yet to have a Codec rejected.

Now my buddy uses Plex and he swears by it. But when I was benchmarking the two, even his beefed up computer with Plex just didn't compare to the modified XBMC I'm using on a low grade raspberry pi (and with plex, you simply cannot make the modifications, especially on the mobile devices because those apps are locked down).

Like I said, it's like comparing iOS to Android, it just depends on your end goals and what you are willing or want to do to get to that point. High tolerance people tend to prefer Plex while OCD people who are never happy with anything and need to modify all that they touch tend to prefer XBMC.
You must not be married. Lol. Plex was accepted by my wife and son almost immediately.

tethlah

Dabbler
Been divorced for over a decade, but it has nothing to do with tech lol (probably because we didn't have this back then)

Like I said, Plex is great for people who need it to work out of the box and simply don't want to mess with it. XBMC is for those of us who are constantly modifying and improving it. I know people with plex installations that have been the same for years. But like I said, I hate iOS too, I like to control, modify, and personalize every little thing.

D

Deleted47050

OK, so until I'm running fibre (which will be a couple years), it looks like there's no point of taking the database off a HD, by then I'll just make a Solid State SQL server anyway.

Guess there is no point on getting 32GB flash drives, may as well just get 2 8GB drives to mirror on the back of the board (preferably low profile so they don't somehow accidentally get snapped off).

I agree, get 2 8GB USB drives. Get 16 GB ones if you plan to upgrade to FreeNAS 10 once the stable release is out, since they have upped this requirement.

Put everything else on a hard drive pool, SSD or not it doesn't matter, but don't put jails and stuff on the USB drive.

sremick

Patron
Like others who have commented, I have none of the issues you describe with Plex. Menus come right up virtually instantaneously, and I have 8+ people all using it across multiple devices each, some jump among 3+ devices, with no sync issues.

/offtopic

Status
Not open for further replies.