Freenas with stripe volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

unuk

Cadet
Hi,
i got noobie question about my TEST freenas-instalation. Oracle VM/9GB RAM/stable release.
I trying to add stripe volume to freenas server. For now i was thinking that stripe is like RAID0. So, no additional/recovery data.
Entire hdd space should be used for my data. But when i looking on this screenshot (below) i see that hdd space = 4.7GB and STRIPE volume is only 2.35GB.
Where is half of my disk ;] I need this unprotected space for non-important data for my childrens. On my home freenas i want to install additional 1TB hdd, so i will lost 500GB of space if i join him to volume?
Or is this only constant ~2GB of data used for each drive? so if i join 1TB hdd i will get ~998GB?
stripe.png

Arwen

MVP
By default, FreeNAS uses 2GB off each disk for swap. This is also a buffer space for disk replacements
when the replacement is slightly smaller than your original.

Thus, 2.35 + 2 = 4.35GB used, not including ZFS overhead.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
The documentation explains this clearly.

http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/intro.html#storage-disks-and-controllers

For ZFS, Disk Space Requirements for ZFS Storage Pools recommends a minimum of 16 GB of disk space. Due to the way that ZFS creates swap, it is not possible to format less than 3 GB of space with ZFS. However, on a drive that is below the minimum recommended size, a fair amount of storage space is lost to swap: for example, on a 4 GB drive, 2 GB will be reserved for swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.