Freenas with crashplan

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadarG

Dabbler
Before I drop some coin on crashplan. Can someone please explain if this will suit my needs for my home. Can crash plan back up all the data on my freenas? I have my freenas setup in RAIDZ3 for the family photo, and single drives for my media since it is replaceable. Do I really need RAID if crashplan is backing up my media. I just need a backup for the media in the event of a failure. Any help will be most welcome.

fracai

Guru
In the event of data loss, Crashplan is only going to be able to restore your data as fast as your Internet connection is capable. Remote backup should protect against local failure (fire, theft, etc.). It'd be much more desireable to have a local backup to protect against hardware failure.

Anyway, Crashplan should be fine, given the constraints on getting your data uploaded and restored when needed.
You might want to start a trial and see how quickly you can upload and restore files.

Picking the RAID level is a tradeoff in funds and hardware requirements and downtime of the data. It might be replaceable, but it's going to take time to do the replacing. That's up to you.

hungarianhc

Patron
If you want to mix around your drives, I might say that Raidz3 sounds like quite a bit of overkill for family photos.. I'd rather have RaidZ2 + cloud backup, a la Crashplan. Why not make the whole thing, including Media, RaidZ2, and have crashplan back it all up?

RadarG

Dabbler
I was going to make a Z2 but at the last min switched to Z3. It took to days to consolidate all the storage across the house. I might switch back to Z2 but maybe at a later time.

pschatz100

Guru
I've not seen many comments about Raid Z3 - how many physical disks are you running? What size are they?

Before commenting on backup strategies, it would be helpful if you gave an indication about how much data you are storing, and how often it changes. The inexpensive internet backup services are great when your data volumes are modest, but you might need a more expensive commercial service if you plan to back up large volumes.

I have two separate volumes: one for music, movies and photos, and another for backups from my PC's. I back up my PC's to the the NAS every day, and that volume is also backed up via an inexpensive internet service (all this is automated.) Once a month, I backup everything on the NAS to external disk and carry off-site. In this way, I create daily backups of my PC's - which are stored both locally and offsite - and a monthly backup which includes a snapshot of the PC data, plus all my media and photos. Since the media and photos don't change very often, I am comfortable with the notion of backing them up once a month.

Assuming a complete fail of my entire system, which is unlikely, the most data I have at risk will be any changes made to the media since the last external backup. If I need to restore files to one of my PC's, I can just copy the files from the local daily backup (or restore from the internet.)

Status
Not open for further replies.