FreeNas+VMware datastore+crashplan

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadarG

Dabbler
Has anyone used FreeNas with a NFS share VMware datastore using crashplan to back it up? Did the recovery work? I was thinking that II didnt have a need to RAID my datastore, however it would be nice if crashplan backed it up. Will crashplan backup my entire freenas box?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The usual problem with NFS would be that a running VM's disk image is changing on disk as you're reading it for backup, which makes for an inconsistent backup. The only real way to fix that is to shut down the VM prior to backup, though it is usually acceptable to make a snapshot of the running pool and then back that up (you're relying on fsck or chkdsk or whatever to correct any errors).

RadarG

Dabbler
I wonder if it would be better to have a full copy of the DataStore backup up to a external drive then. I'm still learning and I just want to figure the design out before I'm stuck with a bad design later.
Here is the equipment that I have;

Dell poweredge T110- I 'm going to use this as my base. inside the box right now I have a 250,500,1T that each have a VMware datastore on it. I would like to have 1TB with ZFS (family pics and video) and 2T NFS datastore for VMware (I can make due backing it up to an USB external). I would like crashplan to backup the family pics. I have 5 500GB 2.5 drives and an enclosure on the way to install in the T110. What other drives and sizes should I get? The T110 would have 16GB of memory and its ECC.

Status
Not open for further replies.