FreeNAS, UPS, and Power recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pabs

Explorer
Hi,

Is there a way to configure FreeNAS to disable the array or go into a low power mode when there is a backup and recover or restart itself when the power comes back on?

I just switched from my old and trusty QNAP to a custom built FreeNAS box and this is one of the few features that I haven't been able to replicate, their >> "Auto-protection: the NAS will stop all running services and unmount all volumes to protect your data. When the power restores, the NAS will reboot and resume to its previous state"

At the moment all I can see is to power off the box but not a way to leave it at a state to power itself back on if the UPS still has power but the box is now off because of the timer previously set within FreeNAS.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
The UPS shutdown sequence is a grace shutdown of your FreeNAS. When the UPS communicates that it is nearly out of battery (if that's how you have the UPS service set), then it will instruct the NAS to power down.

As to what happens when the power returns, that is a setting in your BIOS, typically. You have a choice of "power off", "power on" or "last state". I think you probably want to set it to "power on".

Pabs

Explorer
The UPS shutdown sequence is a grace shutdown of your FreeNAS. When the UPS communicates that it is nearly out of battery (if that's how you have the UPS service set), then it will instruct the NAS to power down.

As to what happens when the power returns, that is a setting in your BIOS, typically. You have a choice of "power off", "power on" or "last state". I think you probably want to set it to "power on".

I see, so set timer to nothing, then shutdown mode to when it goes lower and BIOS, awesome!!

Thank you very much!!

Pabs

Explorer

Will give your advice a shot, thank you. :)

What if the power returns when the UPS battery isn't yet fully depleted?

rs225

Guru
The UPS might have an option to force a power cycle once shutdown is initiated.

Status
Not open for further replies.