FreeNAS to FreeNAS sharing (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete.magnusson

Dabbler
Hi,
I have two FreeNAS servers setup at home.
One as a primary and one as a backup server.

I am wondering ( have googles but not found anything ) like ( not sync ) share one folder from one server to another.

I want to upload photos to one server and be able to view them on the other.

Anyone have any idea of how to do this?

Thanks

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I think you would be much better served by trying to make something happen on your client to pull the two structures together.

That being said, you may be able to make some kind of an attempt at what you are asking (if you deem it really necessary) by using NFS to share your desired folder on the first FreeNAS and then mount on the second FreeNAS in a path which you then share out (perhaps using SMB) to clients.

I wouldn't do this myself, so can't give any guidance on the pitfalls of permissions and reliability of the sharing if you can make it work at all, but that would be something to try.

pete.magnusson

Dabbler
I think you would be much better served by trying to make something happen on your client to pull the two structures together.

That being said, you may be able to make some kind of an attempt at what you are asking (if you deem it really necessary) by using NFS to share your desired folder on the first FreeNAS and then mount on the second FreeNAS in a path which you then share out (perhaps using SMB) to clients.

I wouldn't do this myself, so can't give any guidance on the pitfalls of permissions and reliability of the sharing if you can make it work at all, but that would be something to try.
Thansk @sretalla,I will try this! Cheers

oguruma

Patron
What do you mean "view them on the other server"? Do you just want to be able to verify that the images are actually on the backup server? What client software you use? If you use Lightroom, you can add both FreeNAS boxes (shares) and the fact that you have images on both servers can be made largely immaterial.

I have to question though, that if one FreeNAS box is simply a backup of a primary box, then why do you need to use the second one for day-to-day stuff? Why not house all of your images on one FreeNAS box, and just use that one for your shares?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.