FreeNAS Storage Access Over the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

ujval

Cadet
Hi All

I am new to freeNAS and i have successfully installed the server and am able to share files on my home network. The only thing is i would like to be able to access files and store files on my freeNAS from anywhere and any network.

I have followed youtube guides and also looked at the follwing http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/set-freenas-server-access-files but i am still unable to configure this.

I have set up hosts on http://www.no-ip.com and http://www.dnsdynamic.org.

Can someone please go through the process of sharing freenas over the internet step by step, any help will be highly appreciated

Thank you
Regards

ujval

Cadet

Thanks for the Reply:)

Had a go at this...but this is simply just accessing files on my home network, i still cannot access files if i connect to a different network.

maybe you mis-understood me, what i want to do is set up a cloud server. I want to upload files onto my FreeNAS and access them wherever i go (or even on a tablet) without installing or running any extra application. And i want to be able to upload files from anywhere onto FreeNAS.

Having read some other posts, i saw many places where people have mentioned sftp and ftp via hosts such as no-ip.com. do you have any ideas how these could be set up?

Any Help would be GREAT:D

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
dns providers like no-ip.com are merely pointing a domain name to your IP address. doesnt change a thing. you can configure your FTP service or SSH service in FREENAS, and forward the ports in your router to your FREENAS box...on the other end you would use your no-ip.com address instead of having to remember your IP address.

What you are asking for doesnt exactly exist in the manner you are thinking. you will have to create something. Not sure if there are PBI's available for AjaxPlorer or something similar, but its a possibility. i have other servers that utilize the storage to remotely handle these types of requests. for instance, i have a VM set up that mounts NFS storage on a FreeNAS box to present storage to my own owncloud install. in turn, i use my domain name to connect from my phone/tablet/laptop. items are accessible in browser or app. completely risky, and i dont recommend storing VALUABLE data on these types of installs that are open to the world.

ujval

Cadet
dns providers like no-ip.com are merely pointing a domain name to your IP address. doesnt change a thing. you can configure your FTP service or SSH service in FREENAS, and forward the ports in your router to your FREENAS box...on the other end you would use your no-ip.com address instead of having to remember your IP address.

What you are asking for doesnt exactly exist in the manner you are thinking. you will have to create something. Not sure if there are PBI's available for AjaxPlorer or something similar, but its a possibility. i have other servers that utilize the storage to remotely handle these types of requests. for instance, i have a VM set up that mounts NFS storage on a FreeNAS box to present storage to my own owncloud install. in turn, i use my domain name to connect from my phone/tablet/laptop. items are accessible in browser or app. completely risky, and i dont recommend storing VALUABLE data on these types of installs that are open to the world.

Thank you pirateghost

Ok so. What i've done is install ESXi on my server and allocated some storage to install freenas and then add storage to freenas. I am aware that sharing is somehwhat only possible to people who are connected to my network. I have configured this, but is there a workaround or trick to forward my freenas ip address over the internet?

So basically have a website adress that can remotely be used to access the storage?

Or is it that freenas wont simply allow this? What would you reccomend me to do inorder for me to access the storage on the go?

Thank you
Regards

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
freenas by itself is simply not configured to do this. since you are running it in ESXi, then have a look at setting up a VM of owncloud or something similar and mount the storage over NFS. that way you have access via your LAN computers using normal file explorers, and access via the web interface from anywhere (or the app) with owncloud. it is up to you to configure your port forwards for whatever service you decide on.

you might look at the plugins and see if there is anything that would achieve what you are looking for, but i am guessing there isnt really anything solid at this point.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
You can run owncloud on the freenas plugins jail, just install a webserver(with php) and point it at owncloud just like you would on a normal freebsd system.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
thanks for confirming it would work. i prefer to not run anything extra on my FreeNAS box to keep it as maintenance free as possible ;) So I just have not had a chance to play around with plugins yet.

ujval

Cadet
You can run owncloud on the freenas plugins jail, just install a webserver(with php) and point it at owncloud just like you would on a normal freebsd system.

Thank you for reply

Interesting to see that there is plugins, but i have never used the plugin service so have no knowledge on how to set these up, is there any step by step tutorial i can follow to set up my owncloud?

Please help

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
there aren't any standard webserver plugins yet and I don't know if they'll be any, anytime soon. Basically the plugins jail is a virtual freebsd system running on your freenas system, it shares the same kernel but has a jailed userland. Plugins are pbi that install programs onto your plugins jail with a few clicks.

You can also run stuff like owncloud / wordpress directly on the plugins jail as if it was a freebsd system, I'll try to write up a guide this or next weekend on how to do this.

ppmax

Contributor
If you have time, it would be great to see a guide for installing owncloud and running it within the plugins jail. Hook us up! ;)

(Specifically, I'm curious about how to configure nginx to serve applications/pages from within the jail.)

Status
Not open for further replies.