freenas server crash at startup

nicosalto

Dabbler
Hi,
unfortunately my freenas server seems broken. When i start the PC, it seem to start normally i can see the text of the freenas booting and all the hard drives being mounted. But suddenly it crashes, and the PC turns off.
Here is a video of the bootload and the crash at the end:
It crashed at the line : "mounting user-applied file systems"
You can see my server configuration in my signature.
Any help is welcome here since i dont know where to start, should i start unplugging hard drives ?

Yorick

Wizard
It appears to crash when your headphones_1 jail starts. You could try to get into single user mode and set the jail to not auto-start, see what happens.

nicosalto

Dabbler
Thanks Yorick, i managed to log in "single user mode", but iam not sure what to do next.
I cant see anything in the doc on how to delete a jail via command line.
I have seen a few people talking about deleting the folder "/mnt/datas/jailName" on the forum, but for me the /mnt/ folder is empty.

nicosalto

Dabbler
IMG_20200822_160236.jpg
IMG_20200822_160236.jpg single user mode

nicosalto

Dabbler
also when i type "jls" the list is empty

Yorick

Wizard
The intent would be to get to poolname/iocage/jails/jailname and edit config.json to set "boot" to 0.

Let me play with it and see whether the pool can be mounted in single-user mode.

Alright, in my testing:

zpool status to get the name of the pool you are booting from.
zfs set readonly=off boot-pool to make it read-write in single-user mode.
zpool import poolname to see whether you can import your main pool. If you can't with a message that it was previously used in another system, zpool import -f poolname.
Now cd /mnt/poolname/iocage/jails/jailname and ee config.json, set "boot": 0, and hit ESC to exit the editor and save.
Finally reboot.

Edit: Oh you're on 11.1, warden jails. Ignore all that iocage stuff and just do whatever you have to do for your warden jail once the pool is imported and you can get to its directory.

I was wondering whether my pool would import correctly upon reboot, given that I had just force-imported it. It took a few seconds longer than usual and ran some extra checks and yes, it imported itself without intervention needed.

Your jail data is still accessible if you want to copy it off, but the jail won't auto-start and thus, hopefully, your system will come up.

I will point out that 11.1 is squarely EOL at this point. I know, "don't fix it if it ain't broken". "I am on a very unsupported version of the appliance" could be considered "broken" though. If you are going to move up, you'd need to move to 11.2 first, move all your jails over to iocage, test that they all work okay, then make the move to 11.3.

Last edited:

nicosalto

Dabbler
Thanks a lot for the complete answer Yorick, it is very much appreciated! i followed your instruction and managed to turn of the jails. Now i can start freenas without issues!
i will update to 11.3 as you recommended.