Freenas pool rebuild - can someone check my thinking please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

After the latest update, my Freenas has told me one of my two RAIDZ1 vdevs (striped into one pool) was setup with ashift=9 rather than 12. Not quite sure how I've managed that, but I imported these originally from a Nexenta box, so hey ho.

Drives are Samsung HD204UI's which report themselves as 512 byte sectors rather than the 4K drives they actually are and after doing some reading and checking, I believe I need to blow the pool and vdevs away, then rebuild, now getting a *forced* ashift=12, which is good.

I have 7 drives, so I'm thinking one RAIDZ3 vdev. I have about 4.5TB of data currently, so I'm going to copy off onto my backup drive (a 6TB linkstation in RAID0), blow away, restore, then copy back.

I realise if the linkstation dies during the transition I'm stuffed, but all the important stuff (about 650GB) is crashplaned, so I don't really care that much - I just don't want to have to re-rip all my DVD's!

Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything? Is there a better way of doing the copy/restore than a dumb file copy? Can I do something clever with a rsync/snapshots?

Ta

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You could do rsync or snapshots, but you'll still have to move the data. Not really going to save you much.

You do have to destroy the pool and recreate it, so you are on the right track.

Status
Not open for further replies.