Freenas - partial replacement of old build

Status
Not open for further replies.

kujain

Cadet
Hi there!

In a bit of a fix here and hoping to get some help from the community!
I have an older Freenas build - rather low cost ($500 excl drives) using the following:
intel DH77DF mini-itx board
Intel Celeron G540
Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3
Fractal Design Node 304

The system has been reasonably stable but a few days ago, it crashed (no more booting - keeps rebooting). After running diagnostics, I found out its an issue with the board :(

So now I have to replace that board, but of course a similar one is not available anymore, not even anything equivalent! I am trying to get the system up and running without spending too much cash at this time and not sure what options do I have for using existing components as far as possible, if any at all! Would really love any suggestions or advice....

Thanks very much!

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Hi there!

In a bit of a fix here and hoping to get some help from the community!
I have an older Freenas build - rather low cost ($500 excl drives) using the following:
intel DH77DF mini-itx board
Intel Celeron G540
Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3
Fractal Design Node 304

The system has been reasonably stable but a few days ago, it crashed (no more booting - keeps rebooting). After running diagnostics, I found out its an issue with the board :(

So now I have to replace that board, but of course a similar one is not available any more, not even anything equivalent! I am trying to get the system up and running without spending too much cash at this time and not sure what options do I have for using existing components as far as possible, if any at all! Would really love any suggestions or advice....

Thanks very much!
You did not give your location, but here is what I found with a google quicky.
BOXDQ67EPB3
Your choices will be limited with the 1155 socket,
not sure if your RAM will work, but the CPU might...

kujain

Cadet
Thanks for that quick reply @BigDave !

I did find that board - but I cannot understand why are these LGA-1155 boards now more than double the original price (I purchased mine for about $130 in 2012).

Though I understand that older chipsets support will cost a premium 6 years later, but even looking at a configuration using current hardware, I am not able to build any configuration within a similar pricing at all! Seems like the glory days of the cheap mini-itx and low power CPUs are now over!

If a minimal replacement is not practical, then what could be the low cost replacement approach be using at least a few parts (Node 304 mini-itx cabinet, Silverstone Bronze modular 500W PSU)?

Thanks!!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
PS. Please fill in your country at least. It makes in much more likely that you will get relevant help when seeking hardware.

kujain

Cadet
Sorry about that!
Based in US so definitely should have access to most of what is available in the market!

The ebay option is def a good one - didn't think of that as usually warranty is so unclear...But I suppose it can bbe the last recourse if I cannot replace it with any other new alternative.

But, as an alternative, if I needed to replace with a new mb/mem/cpu, what would be a good option within similar costs (rough total costs $200-$240)?

Thanks!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
But, as an alternative, if I needed to replace with a new mb/mem/cpu, what would be a good option within similar costs (rough total costs $200-$240)?
So, you want to take this opportunity to get a system upgrade instead of just fixing it back the way it was. I get it...
I don't think you will be able to do it for that budget though.
Good luck.

kujain

Cadet
Thanks for your advice Chris!

Though I am aware of the rising prices of RAM/SSDs its rather difficult to believe that its not possible to build a decent sub-$500 Freenas solution 6 years after I did it (and I followed the most commonly suggested hardware config at the time as per my original post). I'll do further research (though most so far only led to dead-ends) and will post any leads here.

Thanks!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Though I am aware of the rising prices of RAM/SSDs its rather difficult to believe that its not possible to build a decent sub-$500
A minute ago you were saying $200 to $240; $500 is a whole different story. The problem is (other than the price of RAM, there are not as many Mini ITX options (as far as I know) and the prices have gone up across the board, just more so with RAM. Then there is the fact that functionally, there is no reason for the newer technology they are putting in these newer boards when you are using the board for a simple NAS. If you are doing something more advanced, then there might be a reason to upgrade, but mostly you would be just as well off to simply replace your failed board and keep all the other components the same. If you have a need for some greater performance, then you should articulate that.

kujain

Cadet
Hi Chris

Sorry for the confusion - let me clarify:
$240 was the price I initially paid for the the following: intel mobo, 8gb ram, celeron CPU.
The rest was for the Chasis, PSU, minor hardware like fans, cables etc. The total came up to about $400 initially (before tax).

If I had to build a new system for freenas now, it appears that it wont be possible within similar constraints: mini-itx, low power, 8gb (non-ECC, but an ECC upgrade would be worth an additional for sure) etc.

Thanks!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I have never really looked at the Mini ITX form factor because (for me) it doesn't have any appeal as there are not enough expansion slots.
In the little amount of searching I have done today, it appears that the prices have gone up significantly in the time since you purchased your system. That form factor in particular appears to be significantly inflated.
You could always get something like this and move your existing CPU and memory (and other hardware) over to it:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3988661&CatId=329

joeinaz

Contributor
Is the Mini ITX board a requirement? SuperMicro makes Mini ITX boards that support ECC memory but they cost a fortune. Could a MicroATX board fit the bill? Still a relatively small form factor but many more options and much more affordable.

Inxsible

Guru
If I had to build a new system for freenas now, it appears that it won't be possible within similar constraints: mini-itx, low power, 8gb (non-ECC, but an ECC upgrade would be worth an additional for sure) etc.
If you were building a new system for FreeNAS now, I would stay away from mini-ITX because it restricts you in terms of expandability.

But since you are constrained with the case (Node 304), your options are limited unless you are willing to do a full build including a new (to you) chassis.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
So now I have to replace that board, but of course a similar one is not available any more, not even anything equivalent!
Did you get what you needed here? Are other options being considered? Where do we stand with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.