FreeNAS on VM not showing on Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyborg

Cadet
Hi guys,

I've currently got VMWare Workstation running with FreeNAS 8 on it. I basically just used articles and video tutorials to get everything installed and working, I just have one problem, and then one additional question.

1) On the Windows machine that has VMWare workstation on it, when my FreeNAS is up and running, I can see the CIFS share in my networks, but on my laptop the share isn't showing up, even when I type the IP of the machine into the explorer. Deleted and recreated the CIFS, but I still can't see it on my laptop's network. Any advice?

2) When I create a Windows CIFS and then try to connect (on the machine that is running VMWare), windows asks for a user name and login. No matter what credentials I use I can't seem to log in (even though I've created a user in FreeNAS and tried all the combinations possible for my Windows machine). I got around this by checking the "Allow Guest Access" on the share, but where is this login information pulling from?

Thanks in advance!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Here's why I didn't answer.. this likely won't help you:

1. If you are using a VM for experimenting you have to know how the VM is setup. It can be available to the rest of the network, or not. There's alot of settings, registry changes, etc that can make using a VM difficult. If you've customized VMWare significantly you are the only one that will be able to easily identify the problem.

2. Permissions are difficult if you haven't ever done them before. There's so many things that you could be getting wrong the only advice I can give is to read and experiment.

My guesss is other people read your post and thought the same thing. We can't really help much with your problem :(

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
My guess would be that it doesnt show up on the other machines, because its in HOST-ONLY networking mode (in VMWare guest settings) and you should be running a BRIDGE mode type setup....

Status
Not open for further replies.