FreeNAS on public cloud possible ? (only for testing) (SOLVED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lars Jensen

Explorer
Hi all

We're using FreeNAS as storage backend (only NFS feature and of course ZFS) for scaled micro services hosting. And need to test our system with FreeNAS using a great number of NFS clients (container hosts).

We need to be able to create, test, and delete a fairly large deployment regularly. That is spin up and shut down container and FreeNAS hosts fast. To test configuration in general.

So I'm looking for a cloud provider where it's possible to install FreeNAS in a VM. I'm aware that for real production FreeNAS shouldn't go inside a VM!

Any recommendations on a clean install (like to avoid hacking the cloud provider to be able to get FreeNAS running).

darkwarrior

Patron
Hi there,

I might be wrong, but I think it will be difficult to find a hosting service that will easily accept to create VMs with "Hardware assisted Virtualization" enabled (prereq. to be able to use Docker inside of a VM) ...
Personally, if I would go with the physical server alternative. Where you could basically do almost whatever you want with it (Deploy Corral, create containers, etc)

Lars Jensen

Explorer
I just had the time to experiment with a FreeNAS instance on Google Cloud using the import image guidelines, and it's a pretty trouble free process. Though you need good technical understanding to get it done (to make an install of FreeNAS on a RAW disk for a virtual server). Added 4 disks to the FreeNAS instance and made a raidz2 pool. But as soon as the Google Cloud FreeNAS image is done you can, of course, create an instance easily.

Dice

Wizard
Why bother with RaidzX if you don't have access to the physical drives?
Isn't it sort of implicit that the cloud provider will <assume responsibility> for not having provided data go bad?
If all drives are virtual, what would make this a better idea than a really flimsy vmware installation done badly?

Status
Not open for further replies.