FreeNAS n00b planning a server. Advice on transmission and mysql integration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guanavia

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I recently discovered FreeNAS whilst planning an automated home media center. It looks almost perfect, but I have a couple questions I haven't found the answers to. I'm planning to use the server I'm building to serve up all my media, backup my personal files, etc. I'm using RSS streams through bit torrent, a media renamer, and xbmc linked with a MySQL database and I'm hoping FreeNAS has plugins or something extensible enough for me to integrate everything within the one installation. So the big things I need to happen are:

1. Transmission integration: I've found the transmission plugin but when researching it didn't see anything about RSS downloading, or automatically labelling and downloading into folders with that label. I'm using uTorrent now and it does all of these perfectly, as well I think does the full version of transmission, but didn't see the functionality in the transmission plugin. Does anyone know if that's possible?

2. File scraping and moving. I use a linux program called 'The Renamer' right now to scrape tvdb and automatically rename TV/Movie files in the correct format. Then it moves them to the proper directory. I haven't found anything that has that functionality for freeNAS. Is there something available?

3. Finally, this really doesn't have a lot to do with FreeNAS, it's more of an XBMC thing... but the server I want to use FreeNAS on is planned to be the only always on box in the house... so... is there some way to set up a standard MySQL installation on a freeNAS box?

Thanks much!!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hello everyone,

I recently discovered FreeNAS whilst planning an automated home media center. It looks almost perfect, but I have a couple questions I haven't found the answers to. I'm planning to use the server I'm building to serve up all my media, backup my personal files, etc. I'm using RSS streams through bit torrent, a media renamer, and xbmc linked with a MySQL database and I'm hoping FreeNAS has plugins or something extensible enough for me to integrate everything within the one installation. So the big things I need to happen are:

1. Transmission integration: I've found the transmission plugin but when researching it didn't see anything about RSS downloading, or automatically labelling and downloading into folders with that label. I'm using uTorrent now and it does all of these perfectly, as well I think does the full version of transmission, but didn't see the functionality in the transmission plugin. Does anyone know if that's possible?

2. File scraping and moving. I use a linux program called 'The Renamer' right now to scrape tvdb and automatically rename TV/Movie files in the correct format. Then it moves them to the proper directory. I haven't found anything that has that functionality for freeNAS. Is there something available?

3. Finally, this really doesn't have a lot to do with FreeNAS, it's more of an XBMC thing... but the server I want to use FreeNAS on is planned to be the only always on box in the house... so... is there some way to set up a standard MySQL installation on a freeNAS box?

Thanks much!!

On freenas you setup a FreeBSD jail to run your extra plugins / programs. It's like a virtual machine but uses the same kernel as the host system (no performance loss)

1) I know you can use flexget to do rss scraping and send to transmission.
2) I bet you can use the renamer in the freebsd jail, not sure though. You want to look into freebsd ports. I also recommend checking out sabnzbd / sickbeard / couchpotato to manage your media collection, trust me it's better than 'The Renamer' =]
3) Many people use mysql on their freebsd jail for central xbmc setups

All this stuff can be done in the freebsd jail, it's just gonna take some quality time on the command line. The awesome part is, you can keep snapshoting your jail so if you screw up you just go back

Guanavia

Cadet
Awesome! Thanks for the reply. That's great to hear. I'm going to have to brush up on my command line. :D

I JUST started using the Renamer and it seems to be working well I've played with Sickbeard maybe I'll have to check it out again.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.