freenas.local login failures question

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewjs18

Contributor
I see these every now and then come through my email for my freenas box. any ideas what's going on and/or how to help stop them?

Code:
freenas.local login failures:
Dec  9 10:53:29 freenas sshd[60410]: Bad protocol version identification 'GET / HTTP/1.1' from 198.20.87.98 port 33473

-- End of security output --

Code:
Dec  8 23:58:29 freenas sshd[54250]: Bad protocol version identification 'GET https://m.baidu.com/ HTTP/1.1' from 222.186.56.107 port 24993

Code:
Dec  7 02:29:34 freenas sshd[30234]: Bad protocol version identification 'GET https://m.baidu.com/ HTTP/1.1' from 222.186.56.107 port 20494

Code:
Nov 20 02:27:31 freenas sshd[14357]: Bad protocol version identification 'GET https://m.baidu.com/ HTTP/1.1' from 222.186.56.107 port 9336
Nov 20 03:08:35 freenas sshd[15183]: Bad protocol version identification 'CONNECT 54.225.170.141:80 HTTP/1.1' from 42.119.61.139 port 65172
Nov 20 03:49:36 freenas sshd[15694]: Bad protocol version identification 'CONNECT 184.73.246.127:80 HTTP/1.1' from 42.119.61.139 port 50042

I have freenas set up to only allow access via ssh with a key...the port # has been changed as well. the gui is not accessible (AFAIK) outside of the local LAN. The freenas box sits in my basement behind a standard verizon fios router...

any help is appreciated!

thanks in advance,

Andrew

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
The freenas box sits in my basement behind a standard verizon fios router...
This makes no diff one way or the other (if the port/ports are open on your router), eventually some hacker will find it and try to get in.
It's what they do for fun.

andrewjs18

Contributor
This makes no diff one way or the other (if the port/ports are open on your router), eventually some hacker will find it and try to get in.
It's what they do for fun.

right, and I understand. is there anything additionally that I should do to try to limit my exposure?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
is there anything additionally that I should do to try to limit my exposure?

You already have by changing the port to a less common one. If you had not changed
to a more obscure port and opened one of the more common ports,
you would be getting login failure reports by the hundreds per day.
If the hacker gets a response from your current open port, they will log it and keep trying,
so changing ports will end the security emails for a period of time, but they (the hackers)
will find the new port eventually and the reports will start again.

Maybe others will chime in and make other suggestions I'm not aware of.

andrewjs18

Contributor
You already have by changing the port to a less common one. If you had not changed
to a more obscure port and opened one of the more common ports,
you would be getting login failure reports by the hundreds per day.
If the hacker gets a response from your current open port, they will log it and keep trying,
so changing ports will end the security emails for a period of time, but they (the hackers)
will find the new port eventually and the reports will start again.

Maybe others will chime in a make other suggestions I'm not aware of.

thanks for the feedback.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
@andrewjs18
No problem :)
I built a pfSense machine and took out my Verizon Fios equipment about 15 months ago.
I still use it as a wireless AP, so it's good for something :)
I just viewed my pfSense logs which list the blocked attempts at over 80 in the last three min.
(over half of which is Verizon most likely) and yes, I just love pissin' them off :D
One of these days I'm gonna invest in a VPN service and become the Invisable Man ;)

andrewjs18

Contributor
@andrewjs18
No problem :)
I built a pfSense machine and took out my Verizon Fios equipment about 15 months ago.
I still use it as a wireless AP, so it's good for something :)
I just viewed my pfSense logs which list the blocked attempts at over 80 in the last three min.
(over half of which is Verizon most likely) and yes, I just love pissin' them off :D
One of these days I'm gonna invest in a VPN service and become the Invisable Man ;)

I wish I had the time & in-depth knowledge of routing/firewalls and such to build out a pfsense machine. just after creating my thread, I was checking out pfsense. maybe in the future I'll replace my verizon fios router with something that is more flexible to allow for a software firewall, like pfsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.