allow scanning from device on LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayG30

Contributor
Hello again,

I recently pit our freenas box on location and I have a piece of software called spiceworks that scans network devices. My security run email shows that spiceworks is trying to use ssh but getting these messages.

freenas.<domain>login failures:
Aug 17 00:00:39 freenas sshd[74718]: Bad protocol version identification 'GET / HTTP/1.1' from <spiceworks IP>

I have to check to make sure ssh credentials are correct since they might have changed since upgrading freenas, but is there anything I should do in free as to allow it to be scanned?

Thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not a clue.. as this isn't the support center for Spiceworks I have no clue what that program does or how it does its job.

JayG30

Contributor
The error is from freenas. It attempts to login using ssh...which for whatever reason it can't.

I doubt spiceworks will know what freenas errors mean...

titan_rw

Guru
At first glance it looks like it's hitting ssh with an http request. Are you sure you set spiceworks to use ssh protocol and not just the ssh port?

c32767a

Patron
The error is from freenas. It attempts to login using ssh...which for whatever reason it can't.

I doubt spiceworks will know what freenas errors mean...

The simple solution : Configure your spiceworks to leave your FreeNAS in peace.. Or disable FreeNAS' SSH daemon.

I think it's likely the spiceworks user community will know what that error message means and what needs to be fixed in spiceworks. The error message tells me you probably have something configured improperly, but since none of us have experience with spiceworks, I/we can't tell you what configuration elements to change to fix the problem.

On the other hand, someone with experience in SW will recognize that the software is speaking an incorrect protocol and should be able to fairly quickly determine what configuration errors have been made.

Whattteva

Wizard
It's trying to connect to SSH via HTTP GET request (kind of like what web browsers do), which unsurprisingly results in bad protocol error.
Nothing wrong on FreeNAS side, that error basically means your spiceworks is configured incorrectly.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Isn't this what I said in my first post before the op decided that I didn't know what I was talking about and responded in kind? Did I miss something?

Whattteva

Wizard
Yeah, basically. I'm guessing he expected you to respond in a more passionate way... who knows, lol.

JayG30

Contributor
you guys are really brutal around here. It's no wonder less and less people are participating in helping. A lot of ignorant behavior to your fellow man. REALLY feels like a community around here... Perhaps if people focused on addressing the questions instead of trying to flex their e-peen...

Anyway, took a look and seemed like spiceworks was scanning via HTTP for whatever reason. Spiceworks can scan using HTTP, SSH, SNMP, WMI, Enable, ESX, and so on. I forced it to use SSH. Still isn't really gathering any data, but that is a spiceworks issue. Haven't had time to look to see if the errors stopped, but I expect tomorrow morning when FREENAS emails me I'll know. (in case you missed it the error is from freenas NOT spiceworks).

I asked because the error comes from FreeNAS and it means very little to me, I simply didn't understand what it was complaining about and perhaps I could address it. I was looking for someone who might know what the error was referring to. Going to ask people at Spiceworks about it would be like me coming here to ask details on Windows Event logs, I'm sorry but that makes no sense to me.

Haven't had a lot of time either. Found out the issues in the updated versions of FreeNAS that IMO are pretty major. So much so I can't believe it was even released. Took some time fixed all that stuff, but you know, I'm sure you guys would just blame it on something I did, even though the configuration has been rock solid for over 2.5 years or the fact that there are multiple bug reports related to these issues standing for ~5 months now.

Thanks for those that actually were helpful.

EDIT:
Took a look in the auth.log and appears that it was that Spiceworks was using HTTP scanning for whatever reason. So the log is being generated due to HTTP scans. Forcing SSH scanning has resolved that error, but presented another for me to look at.
Accepted password for root from <spiceworksIP> port 61830 ssh2
Did not receive identification string from <spiceworksIP>​
Quick search this seems to be due to hitting the server multiple times in succession (something the scan probably does since it has other login credentials it can try). Doesn't look like a big deal.

Last edited:

titan_rw

Guru
Anyway, took a look and seemed like spiceworks was scanning via HTTP for whatever reason.

And that's exactly what post #4 in this thread pointed out. And post #6. It was really self evident from your initial post. Which is probably why Cyberjock basically said that we don't know how to setup spiceworks, that's up to you.

JayG30

Contributor
And that's exactly what post #4 in this thread pointed out. And post #6. It was really self evident from your initial post. Which is probably why Cyberjock basically said that we don't know how to setup spiceworks, that's up to you.

If it was self evident then perhaps someone should have just said what the error was in reference to. I never asked how to setup spiceworks. The question was what does the error code mean and do I need to do anything special in freenas to allow SSH scanning from asset monitoring software which I'm sure plenty of people use some form of (like nagios). Perhaps firewall ports. SSH v1 vs v2, add IP to a config file is freenas to allow it access. Things like that. I figured it probably wasn't anything in freenas but I also don't see the harm in asking here, the forum for question about freenas. If there was nothing necessary for me to do on the freenas end a simple, "no nothing special needs to be done for ssh access" would have sufficed and helped me remove it from my possible causes when investigating how to fix. And for some odd reason I though the point of forums such as this is for people to ask questions even if they happen to be mundain and trivial. Instead of acting like we know everything there is to know and need no help from others. But IMO the responses in this thread make for a very unfriendly community that deters others, especially new people, from participating. That only hurts the freenas project and in turn hurts all of you that use it.

Good day.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You don't get it. We do NOT know how Spiceworks works. We don't know if it uses SSH, I don't even know what it is!

The plain and simple truth, which you don't seem to get, is that we do NOT support that software. From the error it was evident there was a configuration problem on Spiceworks side of the house. But since I can't tell you if Spiceworks is a program for organizing your spice collection or a reference to Dune the Movie I can only tell you what the movie does. This is the FreeNAS forums, not the Spiceworks forums.

Sorry, but I'm going to lock this thread. You don't seem to understand where the boundary is between what this forum can (and should) answer and when we send you elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.