FreeNAS Installation problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eli Singer

Explorer
This is my first FreeNAS build and can't seem to solve some pretty basic things...

This is my setup:
FreeNAS 9.10 STABLE
Motherboard: Supermicro X11SSH-CTF
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220 v5
Memory: 64GB- X4 Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CPB 16GB DDR4-2133 ECC
Storage: X6 8TB WD Red NAS in one Z2 Zpool

I've installed FreeNAS and ran the wizard but can't seem to understand the following:
1. How do i configure my Gmail as the mail server? i tried several option (different ports, TLS/SSL, different outgoing address) to no avail. I do have internet connection as it just updated to 9.10.1-U4.
2. How do i configure Windows Share correctly? I've created a windows share in the wizard but i don't see it in my network. I do see it in the GUI under Sharing/Windows (SMB)
3. Fans are ramping up and down for some reason. some googling led me here: https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=46359.0 does anybody have an idea if following this on FreeNAS will solve it?

Thanks!

Eli

Eli Singer

Explorer

I have seen it now, went according to it but still couldn't connect to the drive in Windows.
I've created a Group called WinShare, and a user called eli_singer who's a member of that group.
Here's the user screen:

User screen.jpg

This is the Dataset screen:
Storage screen.jpg

Is there anything i should configure in the Network tab? Under Global Configurations?
I currently have-
Hostname: freenas
Domain: local
and everything else is blank.

Also, and probably unrelated, i get this alert:
Firmware mismatch.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Eli

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
3. Fans are ramping up and down for some reason. some googling led me here: https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=46359.0 does anybody have an idea if following this on FreeNAS will solve it?
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/supermicro-x10-and-x11-motherboard-faq.5/
Also, and probably unrelated, i get this alert:
index.php

Any ideas?
Do what it says.
2. How do i configure Windows Share correctly? I've created a windows share in the wizard but i don't see it in my network. I do see it in the GUI under Sharing/Windows (SMB)
Navigate to \\IP_ADDRESS using Windows Explorer.
1. How do i configure my Gmail as the mail server? i tried several option (different ports, TLS/SSL, different outgoing address) to no avail. I do have internet connection as it just updated to 9.10.1-U4.
Using two-factor authentication? Create an app password and use that.

Eli Singer

Explorer
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/supermicro-x10-and-x11-motherboard-faq.5/

Do what it says.

Navigate to \\IP_ADDRESS using Windows Explorer.

Using two-factor authentication? Create an app password and use that.

Thank You!

CIFS- I Managed to get into the drive in Windows.
My thinking is to use that shared windows folder and put everything on that so i could access it on my other machines. Is that the right practice or am i missing something and i should only use it for limited storage or something?...

Alert message- What is mpr0 and what controller does the message refers to?

Gmail- I'm not using two-factor authentication, any other ideas?

Fans issue- I'll try following that link later.

Thanks again!

Eli

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
My thinking is to use that shared windows folder and put everything on that so i could access it on my other machines. Is that the right practice
Of course.
Alert message- What is mpr0 and what controller does the message refers to?
The LSI SAS3 controller on your motherboard. mpr is the driver, mpr0 is the zeroth device controlled by the mpr driver.

Eli Singer

Explorer
Of course.

The LSI SAS3 controller on your motherboard. mpr is the driver, mpr0 is the zeroth device controlled by the mpr driver.

Is it possible to update the controller firmware from within FreeNAS? If so, how?

Well, following the instructions it stabilized the fan on the highest RPM setting (1400) which is loud, annoying, and unnecessary. I tried different values in all parameters but the fan remains on the same 1400 RPM for some reason. Would love some advice on this.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, running shell on the GUI with the command: kldload ipmi.ko
resulted in nothing. it just jumps to the next line with nothing happening.
No output is a sign of success in the Unix world.
Is it possible to update the controller firmware from within FreeNAS? If so, how?
Yes, it's documented in many dozens of posts on the forum. You need sas3flash.
Well, following the instructions it stabilized the fan on the highest RPM setting (1400) which is loud, annoying, and unnecessary. I tried different values in all parameters but the fan remains on the same 1400 RPM for some reason. Would love some advice on this.
What fans are you using and what thresholds did you set?

Eli Singer

Explorer
No output is a sign of success in the Unix world.

Yes, it's documented in many dozens of posts on the forum. You need sas3flash.

What fans are you using and what thresholds did you set?

Will look for sas3flash.

The problematic fan is the CPU fan. I'm using Scythe Scythe Kotetsu which runs 400-1400 RPM.
I tried lower values of 200-300-400 and upper values of 1200-1300-1400 and also 500-600-700 and a few others. The changes are listed when i look at sensor list all but the current RPM is always 1400.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So lower those low thresholds by 100 each. Say 100/200/300, or maybe even 100/100/200.

Eli Singer

Explorer

Eli Singer

Explorer
Did find lots of talk on flashing the LSI firmware, I even got the right firmware (P12) but i can't seem to find instructions on how to flash it... Got a link maybe? :)

Eli

skyline65

Explorer
Status
Not open for further replies.